Dija's Reviews > Unholy Magic

Unholy Magic by Stacia Kane

May 16, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, 2010, my-reviews, surprisingly-good, uf-or-pnr, buddy-slash-group-read
Read from May 12 to 14, 2012

Thoughts before reading:

I'm going to give this series one more chance, for this and this alone:
“Readers have the right to say whatever the fuck they want about a book. Period. They have that right. If they hate the book because the MC says the word “delicious” and the reader believes it’s the Devil’s word and only evil people use it, they can shout from the rooftops “This book is shit and don’t read it” if they want. If they want to write a review entirely about how much they hate the cover, they can if they want. If they want to make their review all about how their dog Foot Foot especially loved to pee on that particular book, they can.” - Stacia Kane

Okay, fine, there's Terrible love mixed up in there as well, but it's mostly because of the above-mentioned quote.

Thoughts after reading:

I've never wanted to love a series as much as I wanted to love Downside Ghosts. I didn't like the first book in the series at all, and I'd dropped DG because I was convinced it simply wasn't for me, but with the recent (or not-so-recent, come to think of it) authors versus reviewers drama going around and more specifically, Kane's admirable stand on it, I was determined to like her series.

For the first half of Unholy Magic, I was positive I'd hate it like I did Unholy Ghosts. But slowly, I began understanding the plot, slang, and Chess which led to a noticeable difference in my enjoyment of the book.

I don't love this series yet, but I like the writing and story enough to be excited about reading on. Chess is still a wild card, but I'm looking forward to getting to know her better.

3.5/5 stars

For more reviews, visit my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unholy Magic.

Quotes Dija Liked

Stacia Kane
“You ain’t know nothing,” a man scoffed. “How I’m supposed to trust some junkie Churchwitch-”

The words sliced through her like razor-sharp fangs. Her face flooded with shame, so hot she imagined it steamed in the icy air. At least it wasn’t difficult to identify the speaker. All she had to do was look for the man with Terrible’s fist locked around his neck.

“Ain’t think I hear you right,” Terrible said in a calm, quiet voice. “Wanna louden up?” The man shook his head His eyes bulged. He looked like a bug, with his hands clenching into tiny useless fists. “You sure? You got else to say, you best say it now, instead of later. Now we got us watchers. Later might not be true, dig?” The man dug.”

Stacia Kane
“I figure you really wanted me you'd say. Like now, maybe, if you dig. I'll fuckin carry you down your place on a run, you tell me aye, get you on your back afore the next word comes out your mouth. But you oughta have yourself certain, causen I ain't lookin for charity, an I ain't lettin you go after. Once...once ain't enough for me, dig?”

Stacia Kane
“Her hands fisted his jacket as she pressed her face to his chest. He didn't touch her in return, stood unmoving, his body tense. "It's not like that," she managed. "I'm not...it's not like I'm... I'm not a whore. I'm not. That's not what... please, please..."

She didn't bother to finish. She was crying to hard to finish anyway, couldn't even bring herself to complete the lie. No, she wasn't whoring herself to Lex for drugs. Technically.

But the drugs were payment for her false loyalty, weren't they? For her betrayal. And she kept seeing him, kept spending the night with him, because he gave them to her. It might not have been the only reason, but it was one of them. She thought she was going to be sick. The one thing she'd sworn she would never do, the one place she'd always said she had too much self respect to go, and here she was. She'd done it.

And she hadn't even noticed.

More gently than she would have expected, his hands found hers and disentangled them from his jacket. He pushed her away, his gaze focused on the ground. He wouldn't even look at her. She was glad. She didn't want him to see her like this.

"Naw," he said. "Naw, Chess, you ain't a whore. A whores's honest.”

05/14/2012
53.0% "Okay, so for the first time while reading this series, I completely lost myself in the narration. Progress!"
05/14/2012
74.0% "I'm not sure I like Chess, but I don't dislike her either. I do hate her decisions though." 14 comments

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH It's a dark series, but well worth the read.

mrsj Agreed with AH. I couldn't stand it at first, but once I try again... The rest is history. I'm hooked on it now. ;)

Dija So much encouragement! I sincerely hope I end up loving this series now. It would be a shame not to fangirl over DG with all you girls after this much support. ;D

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Yay! A fangirl!

message 5: by Dija (last edited May 12, 2012 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija Let's hope so. :D

Aly is so frigging bored Can I see an update please? You're keeping me on pins and needles.

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Omg, Dija, that author quote was hi-arious!!!

Yodamom I love this series but find it hard to 'read' with all the slang. I prefer it on audio the narrator is fantastic.

Dija @Leslie: Ikr? But so cleverly eloquent too. XD

@Yodamom: I know what you mean! The slang was what put me off initially. I'm beginning to understand it though, so it's not as bad as it was at first.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Caro Did Stacia Kane really say all that? That sort of makes me want to read her stuff, honestly.

message 11: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela I picked up the first book because of something Kane said too, that really made me admire her. I've got the second book and I mean to give it another chance, but I haven't gotten there yet.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Caro I love authors that don't get butthurt over reviews. Honestly, I don't write negative reviews just to be an asshole, I write them because if I was a writer, I'd want that feedback to help me become a better writer.

message 13: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija @Andrea: Yeah, she really did say all that. And more too. Here's the link, if you need more evidence of how awesome Kane is: http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...

@Angela: The second book is much better than the first one, IMHO, so if you enjoyed the latter, I'm sure you'll love the former. I look forward to seeing how you find it. :D

message 14: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Dang!! I saw you were giving it another try and was hoping you were going to like it. I want to read this series soon. I heard it was dark and different. Probably going to move forward with it anyway. Some of the things you bring up like getting the hang of the language is a slight concern for me...I guess there is only one way to find out.

message 16: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ That quote from the author is awesome. No wonder you wanted to give this another go. Great review, Dija! Glad it's picking up for you. :)

message 17: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija @Tom: The slang's a bit confusing at first, but it does become easier to understand as you read further, so don't let that put you off. I can't wait to see how you find this series, because like you said, it's very different from nearly all the other UF/PNRs out there.

@Baba: Thank you! :)

@Rachel: I know, isn't Kane amazing? It's so nice to know that not all our beloved authors are petty bitches inside.

And thanks! I'm glad I decided to give this series another try. :D