Dija's Reviews > Biting Cold

Biting Cold by Chloe Neill

Sep 23, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: aug-2012, buddy-slash-group-read, could-have-been-sooo-much-better, meh, my-reviews, read-in-2012, uf-or-pnr
Read from August 31 to September 04, 2012

My spoiler-free, general train of thought while reading Biting Cold:

Oooh, sexy times commence!...Damn, that's horrible...I hate Mallory...Yay, they're finally getting it on!...Wait, what?...Please no more love triangles!...Oh, phew, false alert....EXCUSE ME, YOU DID NOT JUST GO THERE, ETHAN!!!...I'mma DNF it...Never mind, go, Merit!...Wow, this is so interesting...Maybe I'll finish it after all...Ugh, how predictable...But wait, that was awesome!...Best ending ever!

The slightly longer version:

The main problem I had for about 60% of the book, and the reason I came this close to dropping the series altogether, was Ethan being a coward and a jerkface again, despite all that he and Merit have gone through. I HATE him. Not "strongly dislike" him, hate him with a seething passion because he's just that big of an asshole. I've never really liked him (except for a short while at the end of Hard Bitten) but now I'm sure I hate him.

Merit is another character I've never gotten the appeal of. She's always come across as unrelatable and cold to me, but ironically, it's Biting Cold that has made me finally like her. I'm not entirely sure why, and maybe it's simply because I was spending so much energy on hating Ethan that I just didn't have any left over for hating Merit, but I genuinely care for her now.

Of course, that only goes so far. I still hate how she was lusting after Ethan for the entire book, when she really should've dumped him as soon as he started sprouting all that crap about why he couldn't be with her. I mean, really, what the hell does she even see in the guy except for a perfectly chiseled face and bod?! He's been an absolute jerk to her since the very beginning even after all she's sacrificed for him, and on top of that, it's not like she doesn't have any other options (*coughJonahcough*)! She's blind to all that, however, and still chases after Ethan like he's her freakin' puppeteer or something. GAHH!!!

So. Why did I finish this book? No, it's not because I'm a masochist (I don't think...). It's because I really, really enjoyed the plot. It says a lot about Neill's writing style (and my masochism...) that I've managed to stick to this series for so long, even after hating more than half of it. And even when I'd firmly convinced myself that this'd be the absolute LAST chance I was giving this series, I still managed to finish it, and now I'm actually excited about reading on.

Believe me, I'm just as surprised as the rest of you.

Favorite passage:
“That’s tough. Anything I can do?”
“Just stay in play as my backup.”
I nearly swerved the car off the road. “I’m sorry—your backup?”
“You know, in case it doesn’t work out with Fallon.”
“And what about Ethan?”
Jeff chuckled. “I just figured he was your backup for me.”

*Buddy read with Anzu. You can read her review here.*

For more reviews, visit my blog:
33 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Biting Cold.

09/01/2012
21.0% "Then he muttered something under his breath about vampires and arrogance and our being "basically really big mosquitoes."

Hahahahaha. Gives a whole new meaning to the word "bloodsucker"."
09/01/2012
37.0% "...and Ethan's back to being a drama llama.

" 22 comments
09/01/2012
44.0% "I'll be furious if Catcher, or even Merit, get back together with Mallory despite all she's done."
49.0% "God, I hate Ethan. Loathe him with every fiber of my being." 15 comments
09/02/2012
63.0% "Nearly every single guy besides Ethan is amazing (Catcher, Jeff, Morgan, Gabriel, Jonah, take your pick). Why couldn't one of them have been the hero???" 6 comments
09/02/2012
72.0% "Merit seriously needs to get over being Sentinel now. It's been six books already, for Peeta's sake! Having her (or Ethan) bring it up after every few paragraphs is so freakin' annoying!" 3 comments
09/02/2012
77.0% ""I am Sentinel of my House and a protector of this city."

Seriously, Merit? SERIOUSLY?!" 10 comments
09/03/2012
82.0% "About. Effing. Time."
09/03/2012
83.0% ""Fear, on occasion, rises up. As does anger. By me and by you. But they are the enemies. And as you might say, love battles them back."
How could a girl not succumb to words like that?

You're joking, right, Merit? That was the choppiest string of sentences EVER." 1 comment

Dija JennyJen wrote: "I've never loved it. I dunno why I read it. "

That's EXACTLY how I feel about this series. But I think this is it. If I'm still feeling lukewarm about this series after BC, I'll drop the series altogether and stop wasting my time.

message 2: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi Smith I was just reading this today when I decided it's too much and I need to drop it for awhile. Maybe forever. I did like book 3 and 4 wasn't bad, but it lost emotional impact for me. Now everything feels kind of flat? Plus Ethan annoyed me. Again.

Dija Exactly, Mimi. I'm not feeling this at all and I couldn't care less about the characters. So far though, I'm not hating anything either so I won't drop it just yet.

message 4: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi Smith Yeah, I reached a point when Ethan became too much of a drama llama(love the expression, btw) and I started having flashbacks... hope it redeems itself for you, though.

Dija I'm afraid I'll be feeling the same way pretty soon. Sigh.

message 6: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi Smith Courage, Dija... Who knows, maybe somewhere, somehow, mystically it becomes the series of your dreams. Then you can tip me, and I'll keep reading :D

Dija Haha, I'm not that optimistic. :P

message 8: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi Smith Yeah, me neither, but everything's possible :)

Feminista I think this series is over for me. This book in itself wasn't horrible, but with all the prior Ethan angst in the other books, the author took it too far for me in this book. What was meant to be a happy and beautiful reunion, ended up being with Ethan finding reasons, feeble excuses at that, to stay away from her. I am just so disappointed. But I thi k I am one of the few that are.

message 10: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija I'll be joining your ranks soon, Nabk. I've never really liked Ethan because of his drama queen ways, but like you, I was also hoping this book would make me love him and maybe force him to get over himself, but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. I think the only reason I'm even thinking about finishing this is so I can fairly say that I've given up on this series altogether...if that makes sense. XD

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I quit reading the series after the 3rd book. Ethan is the worst.

message 12: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija Smart move, Lauren. I seriously don't know why I even bother with this series, since I don't like a single character nor do I give a shit about the plot. :|

Aly is so frigging bored That after reading thought is a tease! Please PM me and tell me what you mean? ;;) Pretty please?

message 14: by mrsj (new) - rated it 2 stars

mrsj so verdict?

message 15: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija I ended up really enjoying the second half. A lot of things were predictable to the point of being laughable, but all in all, I enjoyed reading about the plot and I've finally made peace with Merit. It was definitely a step up from DD and if it weren't for how horrible the first 75% was, I'd be tempted to give it 4 stars.

Aly is so frigging bored Oh dear me! You're giving it 3, aren't you? This is intriguing, and unexpected.

message 17: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija Yep. I'm just as surprised as you.

Aly is so frigging bored Dija wrote: "Yep. I'm just as surprised as you."

Your reading of this book was like a roller-coaster for me, it went like this: "hmm, not having many hopes about it" -> "really?!" => "I might not continue it" => "definitely not trying more" => "intrigued" => "ok, I'll give it another chance"

message 19: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija @Jenny: Yep, I'll definitely be continuing, now that I like Merit and all. Hopefully the next book will be even better.

Honestly, I don't think you'll like it. You have to have a lot of motivation for not dropping this withing the first 65% or so, and I doubt you'll have that. I'm not even sure why I didn't drop it, but I'm glad I didn't because it got really good towards the end. I don't think you'll be able to stick with it so long though.

@Aly: Hahaha! XD And don't forget the part where I was hating on Ethan! That part sticks out the most to me, LOL.

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` I do not dare to read this book yet.

message 21: by Aly is so frigging bored (last edited Sep 21, 2012 04:30AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Aly is so frigging bored I love how he looks Dee, so every nice looking, undecided asshole gets leeway :D :))

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Dija wrote: Oooh, sexy times commence!...Damn, that's horrible...I hate Mallory...Yay, they're finally getting it on!...Wait, what?...Please no more love triangles!...Oh, phew, false alert....EXCUSE ME, YOU DID NOT JUST GO THERE, ETHAN!!!...I'mma DNF it...Nevermind, go, Merit!...Wow, this is so interesting...Maybe I'll finish it after all...Ugh, how predictable...But wait, that was awesome!...Best ending ever!

I bolded the part that gives me HOPE!!! Ethan was a jerk until book 3 or 4 (one of those two). Everyone tells me Ethan is set in stone as Merit's HEA. *cough* TEAM JONAH *cough* : /

message 23: by Dija (last edited Sep 21, 2012 11:23PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija Yeah, he's obviously gonna be the asshole hero till the end. And he's still a jerk in this book, even at the ending, but it's just that I'm seeing some serious hope for the series after this. Maybe all the rocky bits are over and now Ethan can finally grow up? That's the vibe I got, and I'll be majorly pissed if I'm wrong, because really, six books is more than ENOUGH.

Aly is so frigging bored Dee I don't think it'll happen :D he's more then 200 years old... how much do you think he can and will want to change? :D

message 25: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija But...but love changes everything!! >_<

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` Raphael is more that 1000years old and even he's changing for love! :)

message 28: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija There you go. Behold ze epic powers of lurve!

Aly is so frigging bored He didn.t change, he kind of remaind the same and he only does nice things for elena.

Aure   `Reading With The Dark` I disagree. The changes are visible in his punishments to others. Least the consideration in it. And also in how he treats his seven. And he's a little bit mortal now. So you see, changes all over the place :)