Dija's Reviews > Gunmetal Magic

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

2.8/5 stars

I've never liked Andrea and Raphael, not like I do Kate and Curran or Jim and Dali. I was hoping their book would change that, but I think I like them even less now.

I had a lot of trouble connecting to the characters and story. Andrea was cold and hard to relate to. Raphael was okay, didn't really have the most noteworthy of personalities. Basically, I like Raphael and Andrea as a couple, but not so much as individuals.

The action part bored me to tears and I really didn't care for it. The writing also felt a lot less polished than the Andrews' other books. Like this, for example:
"...that totally could be taken the wrong way."

Isn't that supposed to be "that could totally be taken the wrong way"?

There were numerous times throughout the story when I couldn't make head or tails of the dialogue or descriptions at all. Not sure if they were intentional and maybe I was just missing the point, but they seriously interrupted the flow of the story for me.

Everything else notwithstanding, Andrea and Raphael's romantic moments were adorable and reminded me fondly of Kate and Curran's "courtship". As a standalone, this isn't really bad, but it's not as good as I was hoping either.

For more reviews, visit my blog.
27 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunmetal Magic.

Quotes Dija Liked

“Kate smirked.
"What?"
"Your horse looks pink."
"So?"
"If you paste some stars on her butt you'll be riding My Little Pony."
"Bugger off." I patted the mare's neck. "Don't listen to her, Sugar. You are the cutest horsey ever. The correct name for her color is strawberry roan, by the way."
"Strawberry Shortcake, more like it. Does Strawberry Shortcake know you stole her horse? She will be berry, berry angry with you."
I looked at her from under half-lowered eyelids. "I can shoot you right here, on this road, and nobody will ever find your body.”

Ilona Andrews
“Raphael turned me over and looked at me, his face close to mine. "You and I will never be done.You're my mate."
He kissed the corner of my mouth. I almost cried.
"I stopped sleeping since you left," he said "I'll sleep for a couple of hours, wake up, you're not there." I closed my eyes.
"I need an answer, Andrea," he said.
"An answer?"
"Mate. Yes or no."
"Do you need to ask?" I whispered. "You're my mate.”

Ilona Andrews
“My tablecloth was missing in action and long, jagged scratches covered the table's surface.The scratches looked suspiciously like letters. I climbed on a chair and looked at it from above. MINE. Oh, that's great. Fantastic. So mature. Perhaps he would pull my pigtails next or stick a tack on my seat.”

Ilona Andrews
“The rage of the Beast Lord was a terrible thing to behold. Some people stormed, some punched things, but Curran slipped into this icy, bone-chilling calm. His face hardened into a flat mask, and his eyes turned into a molten inferno of pure gold. If you looked at it for longer than two seconds, your muscles locked, your knees shook, and you had to fight to keep from cringing. It was easier to look at the floor,
but I didn’t. Besides, he wasn’t angry with me. He wasn’t even angry with Kate. He was angry with Anapa. I had no doubt that if he could’ve gotten a hold of the god at that moment, he would’ve broken him in half.
“It’s only ribs,” Kate told him. “And they’re not even broken. They are fractured.”
“And the hip,” Doolittle said. “And the knee.”
There you go. Don’t expect mercy from a honeybadger.
“How long do you need to keep her?” Curran looked to Doolittle.
“She can go to her quarters, provided she doesn’t leave them,” Doolittle said. “I can’t do anything else with the magic down. She must stay down until I can patch her up.”
“She will.” Curran reached for Kate. “Hey, baby. Ready?”
She nodded. Curran slid his hands under her and picked her up, gently, as if she weighed nothing.
“Good?” he asked.
She put her arm around him. “Never better.”

Ilona Andrews
“Curran and Kate stood by the door.
“I can’t believe you decided to come down here and check on me,” she said.
“The guy once handed you a fan and told you to fan yourself if the sight of his naked torso was too much.”
“That was like a year ago. Will you let it go already?”
“No.” Curran grabbed her and pulled her to him, kissing her. “Never.”
She kissed him back and smiled.
Awww. Kate and the Beast Lord sitting in a tree…”

Ilona Andrews
“You’re the most experienced investigator I’ve got who’s not tied up in something, and I can’t ask the Consort to look look into it, because A) she and Curran are working on something else and B) when the Consort gets involved, half of the world blows up.”

Ilona Andrews
“Kate stood by the door with her arms crossed.
That was an anti-Curran pose. What the hell was the Beast Lord doing here?
I padded to the door.
“First, you didn’t come home.” Curran’s voice held zero humor. “Second, I’m told that my mate is lingering in Raphael’s house. There can’t be any good reason for you to be here.”
“Are you spying on me, Your Furriness?” Kate asked.”

Ilona Andrews
“Did those nice church ladies come by again?"
He nodded. "I asked them if a man died and then the woman remarried, and then the three of them met in heaven, would it be a sin for them to have a threesome, since they were all married in God's eye. And they decided they were late to be somewhere else.”

07/31/2012
11.0% "Curran didn’t like to be without Kate and Kate didn’t like to be without Curran." 7 comments
07/31/2012
38.0% "

The scratches looked suspiciously like letters.
I climbed on a chair and looked at it from above.
MINE.
Oh, that’s great. Fantastic. So mature. Perhaps he would pull my pigtails next or stick a tack on my seat.

LOL. Raphael's such a spoiled alpha." 6 comments
08/01/2012
78.0% "This is so utterly boring." 6 comments

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

THE JEALOUSY IS BURNING MY SOUL.

Yodamom LOL- As soon as I finish the book Im in the middle of-I'm going GunMetal

Dija @Kelly: YES! Finally someone's jealous of what I'm reading for a change! Muahahahaha!

@Yoda: This is a great read. I can't wait to see what you think of it. :D

message 4: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela I loved Roman in this book. He was the true surprise and treat for me here.

Lady Jaye Ditto everything you said. The Romantic moment at the end was adorable :) but yeah, count me in the liking them less club.

harlequin {Stephanie} Angela wrote: "I loved Roman in this book. He was the true surprise and treat for me here."

Yes! I enjoyed him too. Hope he gets some more air time in the series.

message 7: by Dija (last edited Aug 15, 2012 06:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija @Angie and Stephanie: I didn't remember Roman at all from KD, so every time he appeared, I'd try so hard to recall who he was that I didn't really get to appreciate any of his scenes. XD

@Lady J: I think you're the only person on my list who rated it three stars. All the others are 4-5 star ratings. Not sure what I missed, LOL.

message 8: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela @Dija - He was in Magic Slays. He fought Kate when she went to visit Edvokia (sp?). Then he was hitting on Andrea when they had the big pow-wow with all the different factions. I didn't love him there, he was just a periphery character to me. But here, he was so well developed, and so intriguing that I couldn't help but want to know more.

Dija Sorry, still not remembering him. :( Who's Edvokia? And by the big pow-wow, you mean when Curran was out of it?

message 10: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela LOL.

Edvokia - she's the one that told Kate about her mother, and how her mother had basically fried Voron's brain? The one that wanted to help "teach" Kate as long as she acknowledged that she was of their line through her mother. I think she's the "mother" in the witch's oracle. Remember she had the house that was on chicken legs - Baba Yaga I think was the other name Kate called her.

Big Pow-Wow: In Magic Slays when the People, the Shifters (including Curran), the Volhvs, a bunch of witch factions, some mercs from the Guild I think (but no one from the Order) - basically every group of people we'd ever heard of in the series - got together after they'd found the town where the device was set off and they all decided they had to work together to beat their enemy - just before they started looking for where the Lightkeepers (is that the right name? I know it had something to do with lighthouses) were planning to set the device that stole everyone's power.

Now I feel like I'm rambling and it's probably not going to help you remember Roman :P Sorry about that!! ;)

message 11: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija I sort of remember her. Like, I remember she existed but not any details. Sigh.

And I'm kinda remembering that too. See, the only characters I recall properly are that one guy who changes faces, Samhain or something, Kate, Curran, Jim, Dali, Andrea, Raphael, Derek, Jill or whatever Kate's charge is called, that one doctor Doolittle or something?, and Auntie B.

And the only part of the plot I remember is when Curran was out of it.

message 12: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela LOL. Dee, you need to re-read :P

message 13: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija Nah, forget it. Not enough romance for a reread. XD

harlequin {Stephanie} Dija wrote: "Nah, forget it. Not enough romance for a reread. XD"

The fifth book or all of them?

message 15: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela LOL Dee, I can give you a lot more info when I do a re-read. I'm going strictly from memory right now, and I haven't read Magic Slay since the beginning of the year.

message 16: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija @Stephanie: All of them, because I can't reread the fifth book alone, I'll feel so lost.

@Angie: I won't be needing any info right now, but once KD #6 is released, I'll be counting on you to refresh my memory. :D

message 17: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny “You still like him for this?” Jim asked.
Liking someone for something means that you think they did it.

message 18: by Dija (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija Oh, okay. I had no idea. I'll edit that part of the review now, thank you.

message 19: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela "...that totally could be taken the wrong way."
Not sure it's proper grammar but it's pretty common in speech to say it this way here; or both ways really. Depends on where you want to put the emphasis in the sentence.

message 20: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela And I'm still not a huge fan of Andrea. She pissed me off back in Bleeds and she never really completely redeemed herself. I did like her a bit better in this book though, and I'm willing to hope that she'll continue to grow as a character. I liked Raphael, but I can only remember that like in relationship to scenes with Kate now. Weird.
I haven't gotten to my re-read on it yet, but I'm so looking forward to the Roman parts again :D

message 21: by Dija (last edited Jul 10, 2013 04:24AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dija Main point is that stuff like that made the speech and dialogue of the characters seem awkward and orchestrated to me. I was already not enjoying the story so little things like that just detracted from my overall opinion of the story.

message 22: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Oh, I know. And when I'm really not enjoying a story things can irritate me more, too. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong for that bugging you, just offering up some more information about it. I can understand how/why it would. ;)