Lisa's Reviews > Sweetly

Sep 05, 2011

liked it
Read on October 05, 2011

3 and a half stars

First off, I LOVE the cover, although I'm not crazy fond of the blue background. Maybe it's just a UK thing but the picture looks like a purple face on a black background, while my copy is a purple face with a blue background. Oh well. It's still super creepy and awesome.

I wanted to read this because I love fairy tales and I'm always curious to read re-tellings of popular fairy tales. This one was a re-imagining(thats a word, right?) of Hansel and Gretal.

There are many differences between the fairy tale and this book. MANY. It starts off simple with the boy and girl being named Ansel and Gretchen. Slight tweak of the names. Then it goes completely off the story in a way. Only the slightest elements are left.

The story begins by Ansel, Gretchen and their sister Abigail going into the woods and something happens which results in Abigail disappearing. Gretchen thinks a witch took her.

The story continues years on when they are around 18 years old. They have left home and on their way to a new life somewhere, their car breaks down. They end up meeting a girl who is a chocolatier. Her name is Sophia Kelly. She has some odd jobs around her house that need to be done and it leads to Ansel and Gretchen staying at her house for the night, then two nights, and then indefinitely.

Basically, this story is mysterious and suspenseful and you are left wondering exactly what's going on until the end. My favorite parts of the book were the beginning and the end. I was a little bored in the middle. I wished the author had made the characters more endearing. I didn't care about the characters that much. I'm always disappointed when I don't feel connected to the characters in any way.

It was a nice little book to read in October. I picked it up because it looked/sounded creepy and promising. I also liked that it was based on Hansel and Gretal. I was a little disappointed by the direction it took. It was okay but it could've been better. I know it was trying to be a different take on the fairy tale but I was hoping for a better story. I love the cover and the name of the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetly.

10/05/2011 page 72
23.0% "I couldn't resist buying this. It was £9.99 this and "Sisters Red", both in hardcover."
show 1 hidden update…