Atziri's Reviews > Dream Big, Little Pig!

Dream Big, Little Pig! by Kristi Yamaguchi

Sep 09, 11

bookshelves: young-readers-genre, picture-books-genre
Read from September 05 to 07, 2011

I read this book since it was in the list of recommendations of my "Children's writer" newsletter on an article about "Words & Pictures that Sing".

This book was written by Kristi Yamaguchi, the famous Olympic figure ice skating champion. In this story she shares her motto "Always Dream". The main character of the book is a little pig that tries different things and finds she is not good at ballet, singing, being a supermodel and others. Finally she learns to ice-skate and "follows her dream". I thought the story was OK and tried to be very uplifting. I just did not like the fact that everywhere the pig went and tried some skill she was told to "try something else" and her parents would tell her simply to "follow her dreams". Following dreams takes work and practice and who else but Kristi Yamaguchi to know about that. But, somehow that was not captured well in the story. If I were a parent I would not want my kid to get the message that when others say try something else that is an indication that you are not good at something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream Big, Little Pig!.