Jesse's Reviews > Golden Fool

Aug 11, 07

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: fans of George R. Martin and truly deep fantasy
Read in June, 2007

This is only the second Robin Hobb book I've read, and I already thing higher of her than most other authors of "fantasy". He first book in this trilogy was very good. I started out thinking it was going to be another "magic" driven fantasy novel. Where the magic is more important than well thought out plot and characters. Not so at all! Being as I was and still am waiting on the next installment of the Song of Ice and Fire series, I was happy to find a fantasy series with similarly toned narrative and of a comparable caliber to boot.

The second book, this book, blew me away. If the first one was great book, this is a truly AMAZING book. Fitz is such a great and deep character. He is truly noble and holds himself to a high stander, yet very flawed and knows this of himself. The end result is someone who is a kind of every day man forced into the role of cut-throat white-knight. I say white knight purely to indicate his boyscout-esque qualities. I'm actually glad I came to the character as an adult with a past(him, not me. I have no past, or at least known that it is safe for you to know...lol..:P), rather than reading about him as a child that turns into the person I read about now.

But you know what really does it for me in this book. The non-traditional relationships. My heart when Fitz confronts the fool about their relationship and how the fool mite want more from it. The fool is an amazing character, so multifaceted that he is less gold, and more diamond. I can't say too much about this part with out giving away much that will be better to discover on a readers own.

The plots and intriques. They are great, every level of this story is well crafted to perfection. I'm having to hold myself back from reading the 3rd and final installment because I don't want it to be over any sooner than it has to be.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golden Fool.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Doc Opp You should go back and read the assassin series and mad ship series before continuing. The books are much better in the original order.

Jesse Thanks for the advice, though I will state as I thought I had in my previous post that I'm enjoying and appreciating the writing as much as I do George R. Martin (who is for me, the pinnacle of epic fantasy in todays epic fantasy talent pool). I understand that the other books are good, I may read the living ships ones some time too because they involve The Fool. As for the Assassin ones. Maybe some day down the road, but as of right now I've already read enough tales of young boys growing up in hard times in a fantasy world. Feist, Eddings, Jordan, Card,...etc. I was most impressed at how I picked up a trilogy that was essentially a sequal to a trilogy, and could hit the ground running. Its a testament to her writing skills that I was able to do that. I don't know if the same could be said for other epic fantasy authors. Plus, I think I said this in my original post but maybe not, it was nice to start reading a series where the character was already a person. Maybe I'd have liked Star Wars better if Luke had started out the way he was in Return of the Jedi (having been tempered by trials and tribulations) already a man instead of a whiney farm kid. It was a novel experience and I whish more authors would be able to skip the preamble and get right to the nitty gritty. I'll read the assassin books down the line. I'm squireling them away for some lean epic fantasy months.