Brianna's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.

Quotes Brianna Liked

J.D. Salinger
“Grand. There's a word I really hate. It's a phony. I could puke every time I hear it.”

J.D. Salinger
“People always clap for the wrong reasons.”

J.D. Salinger
“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.”

J.D. Salinger
“It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to.”

J.D. Salinger
“People are always ruining things for you.”

J.D. Salinger
“If you do something too good, then, after a while, if you don't watch it, you start showing off. And then you're not as good any more.”

J.D. Salinger
“I am always saying "Glad to've met you" to somebody I'm not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though.”

J.D. Salinger
“Certain things, they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone.”

J.D. Salinger
“And I have one of those very loud, stupid laughs. I mean if I ever sat behind myself in a movie or something, I'd probably lean over and tell myself to please shut up.”