Gordon Pennington's Reviews > Hoot

Sep 04, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: chapter-book
Read in September, 2011

Hoot is the story of a boy who recently has moved to Florida. Through a series of events, he meets a strange girl Beatrice and her even stranger stepbrother. The protagonist, Roy, also has several run-ins with the school bully. Eventually the characters in the story find themselves fighting against a pancake company, trying to preserve the tiny borrowing owls that inhabit the land the pancake company is trying to bulldoze. This book was very witty and readable. It did deal with a few adult themes, however, mainly select adult language here and there and a look at a couple very dysfunctional families. Because of this, I would not recommend it to a younger crowd. The themes of standing up for what you believe in and trying to fit in, however, are universally understood. The book didn't waste any time with unnecessary plot or dialogue. Hoot did somewhat endorse minor vandalism as ok as long as it's a noble cause and made the police force seem idiotic, which could be offensive to certain readers. Overall though I liked this book much more than I had anticipated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hoot.