Y's Reviews > How to Ditch Your Fairy

How to Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier

Sep 11, 11

bookshelves: children-young-adult, fantasy, humor-comedy, romance, setting-earth-other, fairies, sports, school
Recommended for: Link, the Hero of Time (aka Fairy Boy)
Read from September 04 to 10, 2011

** spoiler alert **
Cute little book, focusing on people who have invisible fairies, each with a specific trait/specialty that affects its human. While this sounds awesome in a "I would totally kill to live in a world with something like that!" way, the point of the book focuses on how things may not be a walk in the park, depending on what fairy you have.

Hmm. While the book is supposed to be a light-hearted and fun comedy, despite its 300 pages, I can't help but think the thing felt a little too much on the shallow side. Not enough actually happens, what with too much of the book being focused on Charlie's attempts to get rid of her parking fairy (which is very easily not the worst fairy in the world; it's only really due to one side-character (whose side-plot you'd think would've been expanded on, but which just gets dropped completely before the book ends)), and come on, really, did she REALLY think the All-the-boys-like-you fairy would be a fairy worth having? (Considering it's what made Charlie loathe Fiorenze without actually knowing at all what she was like.)

Charlie just didn't do enough for me; not in her depth of thinking, or doing much in the book that I honestly found entertaining. Most of her time is spent bemoaning her fairy, trying mundane ways of getting rid of it, and thinking about her crush and sports. I really liked Fiorenze though, and think the book might've been able to gain a little depth through her point of view.

There's a fair bit of world-building here: the story takes place in what is obviously a world based off of Earth, but in a city in a country, obviously of Western culture, that doesn't exist. The customs of the area are familiar enough to relate to, yet bizarre enough that you might accept fairies exist in this universe. Still, New Avalon at least seems to be a place so rigidly enforced by rules (though everyone living there seems to have a generally care-free attitude) that I sure wouldn't want to visit. And the inhabitants of the city have this self-centered attitude that's commented on by someone who just moved there, yet very little of the book has any reflecting on this aspect. It just feels kind of thrown in there. And the slang. Oh man. Alright, so yeah, they're going to have their own casual culture, but surely the author could've made up words less obnoxiously silly-sounding? "Doos" for cool? "Pulchritudinous" for hot?

Finally, I find it hard to believe that any official sporting association would allow players with fairies that give them near-cheating abilities. World sports records would be meaningless; some of the fairies are almost akin to doping.

Anyway, going by the little appendix in the back of the book, the "List of Known Fairies", if I could get myself a fairy, I'd like the stealing fairy....uh, the sleeping fairy. Sleeping is great, but just think how much more you could get done everyday? The bladder one is also a mundane but practical one I wouldn't mind having.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Ditch Your Fairy.