Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)'s Reviews > Golden: A Retelling of "Rapunzel"

Golden by Cameron Dokey

Sep 08, 11

bookshelves: owned-paperback
Read from September 04 to 05, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I can point out a lot of good things about this book. For one, it definitely took after the original tale of Rapunzel but giving it a rather surprising twist. When we hear “Rapunzel” we immediately think EXTREMELY LONG BLONDE HAIR. But with Dokey’s Golden, we find our heroine BALD. Yup, you read it right; Rapunzel is B-A-L-D. I absolutely loved the idea. It was so fresh and the story of how she ended up with the sorceress was cunning.

Another thing I was fond of was Rapunzel herself. She’s spunky and charming. Usually, when I read about princesses or damsels in fairy tales they seem to always be mistreated and distressed. Here I find a girl who, despite having known how her past was, is a lively and strong-willed character who doesn’t have to be all nice and sweet.

I also like the idea that the person who took Rapunzel from her parents was not the villain in the story. Henry and Mr. Jones were also characters that I adored. I love Henry and Rapunzel’s bickering, I find them so entertaining.

I was really into my reading up until I reached the part where Rapunzel had to stay in the tower. It got a little TOO twisted at this part and I was just not getting what Rapunzel’s plan was on how to get out of that tower.

Another let down was the fact that when we finally reached the climax of the story, it was over by a blink of an eye. That fast? I didn’t even get how the story got there.

And then they lived happily ever after… that was it. Just when I thought this was going to be one of those books in the Once Upon A Time series that I’d come to love. *Sigh* So sad.

But I did appreciate how wise Dokey was to still incorporate how the tale we know of Rapunzel now with what she has recreated. That part of the ending was something that made me smile in spite of my displeasure.

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog:
The Blair Book Project @ www.theblairbookproject.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golden.

09/04/2011 page 1