Stephanie's Reviews > Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen

Sep 04, 11

Read in September, 2011

My life has been crazy this past year, and I find less and less time to read. I also find myself going through spurts of desperately wanting to read, but not having the emotional energy for anything too deep. A lover of memoirs, this makes my reading selections difficult at times. When my boyfriend handed me Rhoda Janzen's memoir, Mennonite in a Little Black Dress, I thought I might have found just the book I needed to get me over my reading slump. And, I was right!

Janzen's light-hearted look back at her upbringing manages to make you laugh out loud at times, even when reading about what must have been hugely trying times for the author. The thing I loved most about Janzen's writing style is that she was able to write a book telling all kinds of quirky tales about her family's dysfunction, their religion, and her own difficult life lessons, and it doesn't come off as someone who is writing things out as some form of self-therapy or outlet. While making fun of Mennonite tradition, she also somehow manages to honor it...and even educate her readers about it. And her stories about her mother are complete reader gold.

I highly recommend this fun read to my women friends, especially. It's a great little read for mothers, daughters, and anyone who has decided to take look at life's unexpected tragedies and stick their tongue out and laugh. Kudos to Janzen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress.