Surin's Reviews > Sophie's World

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

Sep 14, 11

I read this book when I was 15 and it absolutely absolutely changed my life (and the way I think) as it got me interested in philosophy. I still hold true to some of the concepts I learnt in Sophie's World, like the Socratic concept of "Wisest is she who does not know" (as paraphrased by Jostein Gaarder)and also "Nothing can come from Nothing" which is from the Natural Philosophers.

First of all, this book isn't really a fictional book. It's more of a short introductory course to philosophy but written in such easy clarity that even a 15 year old can understand it.

Prior to Sophie's World I had never ever read a book on philosophy and to me then it seemed absolutely complicated and wankey to a certain extent. Then I was given this book by my elder sister who insisted I read this. She just told me "Oh it's about a 15 year old girl and how she goes on philosophical adventures with her teacher".

What I really like about the book is that it's really good introduction to philosophy and it's history (bear in mind I was 15 when I read this). I also really like Sophie as a character, she seemed absolutely relatable and her questions mirrored mine exactly it was quite uncanny really, Jostein Gaarder does an amazing job of imagining the mind of a 15 year old girl. I also like the whole philosophical conundrum when self-realization takes place, it was interesting to see how the philosophical concepts learnt the past pages are now being used by the characters.

What's wonderful about this book is that, it's easy to appreciate it. Even though I'm much older now and have taken courses in philosophy in college - it's still easy to pick this book up and still see the wonder in it.

I would absolutely recommend this to any Young adult to open their mind to the wonderful world of philosophy.

Oh and because of Sophie's World, I've become a Jostein Gaarder fangirl reading every and any book he publishes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sophie's World.

Quotes Surin Liked

Jostein Gaarder
“Wisest is she who knows she does not know.”
Jostein Gaarder, Sophie's World