Sara ♥'s Reviews > Twice Tempted by a Rogue

Twice Tempted by a Rogue by Tessa Dare

Sep 22, 11

bookshelves: 2011, historical, romance
Read from September 04 to 08, 2011, read count: 1

4.5 stars! This book was about Rhys St. Maur and Meredith Maddox....

All right. So they're both from a WEE little town, Buckley-in-the-Moor in the moors of Devonshire. Fourteen years ago, Rhys's castle/home burned down, killing his father (I believe), and he became the new Lord Ashworth of the manor and the area (at 17 or 18). He, believing he should have died in the fire, and wanting to escape his dark path, left Devonshire, and hasn't been back.

Meredith Maddox's dad was in charge of the Ashworth stables, and was only 14 when Rhys left, but she's been in love with him since she was like 9 or 12 or something. She married the local inn/tavern owner (who was older than her father) to keep them from starving, essentially, but he died a while back, so she now runs the inn.

Anyway, Rhys feels the need to go back home, for reasons I can't remember... to deal with his past? To finally do his duties to the town that relies on him for jobs and means to survive? But once he gets there and re-meets Meredith, there's nothing that could make him leave! He's a HUGE believer in fate (he also believes he can't die, which is totally a man thing, I swear...), and it causes him to "know" that he and Meredith are "meant" to be together. So he spends most of the book trying to convince her to marry him, and she spends most of the book trying not to get attached to him (even though she already loves him), for fear he'll just up and leave again.

There's also trouble from the locals... See, he, the Lord, is the one who would normally be the main source of jobs for people in the area. They'd either work in the castle or work the land, you know? But he's been gone for 14 years, so they're a bit desperate, and there's a quite-substantial smuggling operation going on to bring goods to the town and to provide jobs for local men. And Rhys's presence threatens that. Plus, the locals are just generally pissed at him for being gone and his father for being the world's biggest asshole.

Anyway, it's cute. Rhys has to prove to Meredith AND the townsfolk that he's there to stay, AND that he's not the man his father was. And Meredith has to give up a bit of control and risk her heart! :)

It was cute. I haven't read a story with a widow in a long time, and I haven't read a book with long-lost lovers (SORT OF) in a while, either... So it was also a nice change! I'm NOT a big fan of the whole "fate" thing (I'm not Meredith's side on that, sorry Rhys!), but part of the story was getting him to let go of that, and just admit he loves her instead of being all like, "I'm destined to be with you," and crap. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twice Tempted by a Rogue.

09/04/2011 page 34