Bodea's Reviews > You Don't Have to Say You Love Me

You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sarra Manning

Sep 15, 11

Read from September 04 to 05, 2011

bookish and sweet natured Neve Slater has spent the last three years slimming down in hopes of catching the eye of William, her crush since university, when he returns to London. Her sister Celia insists that Neve needs some dating experience before her true love comes back to town, but Neve's not interested in other guys. That is, until Max comes along. He's handsome, funny, and flirtatious - the perfect guy to show her the ropes. So, they start a pretend relationship. Soon, Neve realizes that there's more to Max than meets the eye.

I don't read a lot of chick lit so I was a bit apprehensive about starting this one. It didn't take long before I was sucked in though. Neve is a very human character. She's smart, funny, and pretty. She just needs to get out of her own way. Max isn't your typical man slut ...ok, maybe in some ways. There's a lot of depth there as well though. The author does a great job of writing these two in a realistic manner and showing how they bring out the best in each other during their time together. I also thought Neve's feelings for William were very realistic. We've all had that guy [friend] that we envisioned as "the one" when we were younger. I think the main reason I enjoyed this story was because the author made me care about the characters. Neither were perfect. Max had his issues and boy did Neve have hers. There were times where I wanted to scream at Neve to stop putting herself down, but I realized that you can't build self esteem in a day. All in all, the writing was great, the plot was excellent, and the story moved at a great pace.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Don't Have to Say You Love Me.

09/04/2011
09/05/2011
75.0% "So much better than I was expecting it to be as I'm not a big fan of chick lit."
09/05/2011
88.0% "I don't want it to end. Give up the fantasy of Billy Neve. Max is awesome and woobly, but he needs to realize it. Omgee. What happened? Things were getting all hot and heavy and then it got ugly.Come on yall."