Laylah's Reviews > Snapped

Sep 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: romantic-suspense
Read from September 04 to 06, 2011

It's been a while since I last read the previous book of Laura Griffin's. I guess I should probably have gone back and reread the bits about the h/h in this book - how they met and all those stuffs. I didn't and it costs me some pleasure in reading this latest addition to a now 4-book tracer series.

First and foremost, the mystery plot, the sequence of initial shooting scenes is very well written and they carry my interest through to the very end despite the bland h/h's about whom we'll talk later.

The most important question put to us in this book is more of a why than of a who. We are kept in the dark until late about the identity(ies) of the villain(s), but they don't matter much because they go hand in hand with the motive which I think quite far-fetched.

On the romantic front, we have a stubborn heroine with an-again-super protective law enforcement hero. As I already told you I forgot how they met so I just can't fathom where their so-called chemistry comes from. Their dialogues are not as sharp as the author's usual standard. I don't particularly care for Sophie and I don't think Jonah brings anything new to the table so these couples are a bust for me. Considering I'm a fan of this series, having read all the books the day they are out, I am afraid that new readers would have even harder time getting into this book.

There are a couple good news I should bring up - first, we are introduced to more interesting, future lead in the next book and get to see her in action. Second, we might also have a glimpse of potential couples emerging in the horizon and those, too, should be more interesting than the protagonists in Snapped. So for anyone out there who loves romantic suspense, I strongly recommend you reading Laura Griffin. Pick one of her series (maybe a finished one for your maximum pleasure) and read them in sequence. Apart from Tess Gerritsen, she's still my most trusted author in this genre. The keyword here in this review is 'sequence'. 3 and 1/2 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snapped.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Sobia I had the same issue with Sophie, I just wasn't all that fond of her.

Laylah Sobia wrote: "I had the same issue with Sophie, I just wasn't all that fond of her.

And Tess Gerritsen? Does she write Romantic suspense? I always thought she was a strictly suspense author!?"

Gerritsen's early books are gearing toward romance readers. Now she is more suspense than romance, that's true. But there are always streaks of romantic elements in her books which I believe she does very well. I'll recommend the first couple books in the Rizzoli series in particular for example.