Lindsey's Reviews > Wildflower Hill

Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman

Sep 22, 11

bookshelves: haunting-fiction, dual-timeline
Read from September 19 to 22, 2011

It's been quite some time since a book kept me up until 2am! (One more chapter, just one more chapter, okay, just until this page...okay, just until I know what happens with this...okay, just one more chapter...-I'm sure we've all been there!)

Such a wonderfully vivid portrayal of these two women's lives. It's so interesting to read a novel with intertwining lives decades apart that *doesn't* have a big reveal at the end (where the present-day character comes to understand everything that occured in the past character's life.) The present-day character, Emma, was given a much better idea of who her grandmother Beattie was, while still not knowing the full gravity of what her grandmother endured. I think it created so much depth for me as a reader. I felt inextricably linked to each of the characaters, especially Beattie (the woman from the past). It was as though I was living her life alongside her, feeling each loss and joy just as she would. If an author can create that kind of a relationship between her characters and her reader, there really isn't anything more that I could ask of her. Brilliant book. Hope for more from Ms. Freeman along these lines!
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildflower Hill.

09/21/2011 page 131
24.0% "Really enjoying it so far. The way the author weaves the tale allows you to feel each character's joys and sorrows so keenly, and creates that perfect feeling of anticipation for what is going to happen next. I don't want to put it down!"
09/21/2011 page 298
55.0% "love, Love, LOVE!"

message 1: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Did you win this book?

Lindsey No, I freaking bought it because I freaking forgot I entered to win it! If I do win it, it's all yours! Haha! :)

message 3: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Haha that is super funny. I entered to in it too. That and the last letter from your lover sounds so good.

Lindsey Oh wow, that does look good. Is it in the giveaways as well?

message 5: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley It is. We have 2 in hc at work

Lindsey I just love books so much. It's becoming a problem again...Chris was trying to set up my new record player :)! earlier and we had to move some books around...and had nowhere to put them! haha. I now have a row of books in one of my windowsills.

message 7: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Lol that is too funny! I've been trying to get Mark to buy me s new book shelf...its not going so well Haha