Charles's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Sep 11, 11

bookshelves: horror
Read from September 04 to 11, 2011

Here's the good things. The book is well written and there are some interesting characters introduced. It's a fresh approach to Zombies since it is a set of interviews with survivors of a world wide zombie outbreak. The overall description of events is compelling.

Now here's the stuff that isn't so good. The fact that the zombie war is over when we start the book immediately takes away a lot of the tension. All we're hearing about is how, in the past, humans managed to survive. While interesting at some level there's no real rooting for individual characters.

Second, the "interviews" are mostly relatively short and there are a very large number of interviews with different people. Although some of the characters are revisited at the end of the book, by then they had all run together in my head and none truly stood out. In a novel, I want to identify with a main character or a small cast of characters who must strive to survive some threat. I didn't identify with anyone in this book, although I felt sympathy for some while I was reading their "interview."

Overall, this post danger interview type of process works very well for nonfiction surivors of wars or natural disaster, but even then it needs to have a smaller cast of characters. Using the technique for fiction, while interesting, doesn't really play to the strengths of fiction while also lacking the compelling realness of nonfiction.

Just my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Madkropotkin (new)

Madkropotkin let me know what you think of it, its been siting on my shelf for the longest time.

Charles Will do.