Donna 's Reviews > Damned

Oct 04, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: received-for-review, death, demons, dnf-not-for-me, read-in-2011
Read from September 22 to October 04, 2011

I've discovered by reading this that I am not a big fan of satire. Not even extremely well written satire, which this certainly is. So while I personally didn't like it, I would still recommend it to those who enjoy this type of book.

Damned follows the 13year old protagonist, Madison, as she wakes up in Hell after overdosing on marijuana. Each chapter begins "Are you there Satan, it's me Madison" with a little note to Satan. Madison is a sarcastic and cynical girl who has been alternately spoiled and neglected by her rich, famous, and "free-thinking" parents. She joins a group of her peers, reminiscent of The Breakfast Club, as they journey through Hell searching for Satan. Throughout Damned is an overabundance of pop-culture references, blood, gore, and all manner scenes designed to disgust and offend even the most broad minded reader. There were some moments that were laugh out loud funny, but most of the humor read more like the college equivalent of a fart joke.

This book is much too explicit to be appropriate for teens and much to corny to appeal to most adults, so I believe that this would mainly appeal to the same demographic that enjoys movies about college frat parties and the like.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Damned.

09/24/2011 "I don't know about this one. This is written from the perspective of the extremely annoying and immature 13 year old protagonist. It's a little much."

Jessica at Book Sake Hmmm - I haven't read much satire - so will see if I am a fan or not after starting this one today!

Donna I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Jessica at Book Sake I can't do it. 1/3 through and I'm not feeling it.

Donna lol, I bet I know where you are. A giant demoness and a severed head?