Randal Cooper's Reviews > A Voice in the Box

A Voice in the Box by Bob Edwards

Mar 02, 12

Read in March, 2012

A Voice in the Box has plenty of fun and interesting anecdotes, but there are two things that bother me:
Edwards has an axe to grind with NPR. It's justifiable--they done him wrong--but one would think a journalist would get to the bottom of his own story about the actual reasons he was fired instead of saying "it was unfair, and to this day I don't know why they did it."
The chronology of the book doesn't seem to follow any pattern. I understand that there's a narrative point to starting in the middle of the action, moving back to the beginning, and finishing after this point, but Edwards story jumps around just enough to be annoying and to call attention to itself.
That said, if you're a fan of Bob Edwards, or NPR news programming, it's probably worth a read. Especially if you got it for free off Amazon when they were running their promotion. Among "reporter stories" memoirs, however, the writings of people who spent more time in the field as cub reporters and correspondents (see: Walter Cronkite) and less time behind a microphone are more compelling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Voice in the Box.