Ruth's Reviews > One Day

One Day by David Nicholls

Sep 11, 11

bookshelves: novels
Read from September 04 to 11, 2011

I really didn't have plans to read this. The hype over the movie (and then the book) was a little over the top, and I have actually been much more interested in Nicholls' Starter for Ten for ages now. But...my father-in-law's parter gave me her copy because she didn't much care for it (she said with some distaste) but thought I would really like it (I will not dwell on what this means she thinks of my literary tastes).
Saying that...I actually really DID like this, and it was the kind of book that's right up my alley. I guess it could be considered chick-lit, but it's not that super sweet-cotten candy-makes your lips pucker kind (maybe because it's written by a man?). At times, the similarities between myself and Emma were enough to make me uncomfortable. Maybe in my twenties I had more in common with my fellow female counterparts than I thought.
I won't be running out to see the movie any time soon, but I am glad I joined the masses and read the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Abby Glad to hear this cause I have been on the fence about this book... And you know I trust your taste. :)

Ruth It would be a good book to read when you have a school break. And I am incredibly flattered, Miss Read-A-Mile-A-Minute. :)

Abby Throw it on a shelf for the to mail to me at some point in the future pile? :)

You should be flattered... You're awesome.

Ruth Will do! I am lending it to some ladies at work and Jack's thinking about reading it, but then it's all yours!