Idris's Reviews > The Women of the Cousins' War: The Duchess, the Queen, and the King's Mother

The Women of the Cousins' War by Philippa Gregory

Sep 11, 2011

Read from September 04 to 11, 2011

The Women of the Cousins’ Wars talks about three important women that were forgotten by History. Jacquetta Luxembourg, a duchess, but also a woman who married for love, and survived two husbands, fourteen childbirths and two wars. Elizabeth Woodville, Jacquetta’s daughter and queen consort of Edward IV of England; and Lady Margaret Beaufort the mother of King Henry VII and grandmother of Kind Henry VIII of England. Those three women are the main characters of Philippa Gregory’s books; The White Queen, The Red Queen and The Lady of the Rivers, and in this book we will have the opportunity to learn about their lives.

This book is a non-fiction book, so it’s a little bit complicated for me to talk about it and to review it. Like Philippa Gregory says at the introduction, in a non-fiction book we cannot criticize the development of the plot, or the characters. That it’s impossible, because in this kind of book, the author is only an intermediary who is telling us the story the way it happened, the way the characters behaved, and also the way the story ended. This time, the author cannot play with the plot. The author only tells us what he or she knows about the topic. That’s why this book cannot have a good or a bad review; it depends of the reader taste.

But well, in my case, I really liked this book. Even though I haven’t read the novels by Gregory, I had a great time reading about those women and learning about them and how the things were in the time they lived. I must admit I got lost in some occasions with a few names and characters, that I didn't know, but after searching on the web and reading a little bit about them, I found the reading much more interesting and I could understand it much more.
So, if you like historical books, and you like to learn about real people who lived in different times from ours, you’re going to enjoy this book, specially if you have read the novels by Philippa Gregory (The women of the Cousins’ War Series) and you want to expand your knowledge about the topic, or just because you’re curious about their lives.

But if you prefer novels with dialogues, or not so realistic topics, this book can be somewhat tiresome… like a History book. : )

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Women of the Cousins' War.