Dahlia (yadkny)'s Reviews > Night Walker

Sep 06, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: Paranormal Romance Lovers
Read from September 04 to 05, 2011, read count: 1

When everything else in the world changed around him, she was always his constant – even in death.

Once a man of the cloth, Calisto Terana is once more within arms reach of attaining a second chance with his one true love. The lonely centuries spent waiting never knowing will finally have become worth it. However, long since forsaking his vows and committing the ultimate mistake of confession, Calisto still finds himself watched by the people he once believed were his brethren. Their judgment of an act of love was seen as a sin, horrifically ending the lives of two people and forever altering the course of his destiny. Calisto has now made it his mission to see that history does not repeat itself, even if that means giving up his second chance forever.

Kate Bradley has done a lot of running in her young life. Running from the loneliness she felt while growing up in her hometown of San Diego. Running from the life she built in Reno after catching her fiancé in the act of cheating. Then running from San Diego yet again after falling too hard too fast for a man who seems to read her mind and offers the kind of passion for music and life she’s never known before. Or has she? While running away never solved anything, Kate decides to finally stop and for better or worse confront the man who has stolen her heart. When she is forced to run again, little does she know that this time she is being chased.

Lisa Kessler has now officially been added to my authors-to-watch list. After reading this captivating tale of love, lies, betrayal, and redemption, I am hard pressed to find things I didn’t like. Incorporating religion into any story can be tricky, but Ms. Kessler dramatizes it in a way as not to vilify the church, but the selfish individual choices that are made in its name and highlight abuses of power.

I also appreciated how Ms. Kessler gave her audience the gritty and raw side to a Night Walker being born, instead of a fanciful recounting of the process like some other vampire romance novels. There's blood, vomit, and excrement which illustrates a literal dying of the human body, that for me felt more believable. Nevertheless, there is a seductive charm to her Night Walkers that Ms. Kessler seems to deliver effortlessly. Most notably during Calisto and Kate's getting-to-know-you phase and in the more heated scenes where tensions throughout the story were perfectly mounted for their long-awaited erotic reunion.

Briefly, I would like to touch on just how perfect the ending of this story is as it leaves the reader content while setting up a bit of a mystery for what is sure to be another incredible installment to the Night Walker series. Waiting for book two will undoubtedly be a test of patience.

I do believe a forewarning to potential readers is necessary, as there are nightmare scenes where rape is implied and one scene containing graphic detail. However, I would still strongly recommend this impressive paranormally romantic tale to readers looking for a fresh take on reincarnated and vampiric love.

Review soon-to-be posted @ Night Owl Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Walker.

09/05/2011 page 152

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Kessler Thank you for taking the time to read and review Night Walker!!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the story...

Book 2 should be out in the Spring so you won't have to wait long... :)

Lisa

Dahlia (yadkny) Hi Lisa!

Lisa Kessler Ha! The cover is stuffed full of YUM isn't it??? I got some promo posters made of the cover, and YOW! It's even better bigger... LOL

I'm glad you enjoyed the book inside the cover too! :)

Lisa

*yadkny* wrote: "Hi Lisa!
I know they say not to judge a book by its cover, but... this story definitely lived up its cover! :)"

message 4: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Spence Awesome review ill be reading this one soon Thanks for the add

Dahlia (yadkny) Tammy wrote: "Awesome review ill be reading this one soon Thanks for the add"

Cool! Let me know what you think!