Lindz-o's Reviews > There's a (Slight) Chance I Might Be Going to Hell: A Novel of Sewer Pipes, Pageant Queens, and Big Trouble

There's a (Slight) Chance I Might Be Going to Hell by Laurie Notaro

4419493
Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: books-read-in-2011
Read from October 01 to 15, 2011

This book gets two stars (instead of one) because I actually managed to read the whole thing. I've never read anything by Laurie Notaro before but picked this up because I was in the mood for something fun and light.

Well, fun and light is what this book is supposed to be and it probably is for most readers. However, this book gets two starts (instead of three) because several scenes were a little too slapsticky for my tastes. I started to get bored reading about Maye's ridiculous and desperate attempts to make friends. Maybe I'm just too unsociable to empathize. Instead of laughing at her efforts (which were supposed to be funny), I rolled my eyes. A lot of Notaro's depictions of the wacky townspeople are stereotypical and almost cliche in their attempted zaniness.

The story picked up about a hundred pages (!) in when Maye finally decided to enter the pageant and began hunting down the vanished former pageant queen she wanted as a sponsor. The mystery aspect of the story spurred me forward although I was by no means biting my fingernails and sitting at the edge of my seat.

Disappointingly, the entire last chapter is one giant plot dump It's a complete summary, most of it given in dialogue. That, among many other aspects of the story, just didn't work for me.

Notaro's writing style uses lots of unusual and long-winded comparisons and similes. Again, it's supposed to be humorous. I can think of a few friends who would probably appreciate it more than I do.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There's a (Slight) Chance I Might Be Going to Hell.