Gloria's Reviews > Suspense and Sensibility: Or, First Impressions Revisited

Mar 12, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: austen-stuff, mysteries
Read in November, 2005

Although this book contains another hearty dose of excellent characterization, including the addition of the Dashwoods from Sense and Sense, this installment lacks direction. We don’t really get a mystery in the conventional sense (there is no murder which precipitates the conflict). Instead, we are treated to some more supernatural intrigue which is resolved rather abruptly. It seems that Kitty’s finance, Harry Dashwood, falls prey to some sinister spell. These sinister goings on are only hinted at for the first section of the novel, but then rush forward to the conclusion too swiftly for my “I like to savor the clues” tastes. Nevertheless, the development of Kitty as a sympathetic character is welcome, as I have always feared that she would never truly outgrow the frivolity instilled in her by Lydia. That the Darcys should meet the Dashwoods seems somewhat reasonable, but this device will wear thin if the Darcys wander into all of Austen’s famed families. I am also curious to see what Bebris will do when she has run out of Austen novels to serve as bases for her books, as there is a sadly limited supply. Not to mention what other crazy titles we have in store.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suspense and Sensibility.