Rhian Loxley's Reviews > The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters

The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters by Janet Ahlberg

Sep 04, 11

When I was young I loved Janet and Allan Ahlberg books and the jolly postman was one of my favourites. This book is really interactive and features letters from many famous children's book characters whose stories intertwine.

The body text is written in simple rhyme that is fast paced and easy to read. Clues lead you to guess who each of the letters could be from before you open the envelopes. Sometimes you will see clues in the post mark, or the stamp, or the little illustrations on the envelopes. I vividly remember reading and re reading this book over and over again and scouring the pages for new details in the illustrations that i hadn't noticed before.

I found that i preferred to be read the letters by my parents as the reading level does seem much higher within some of the letters. There are a variety of different formats of writing that younger children may not be familiar with for example, an advertorial for a witches supply company, a letter from a publisher enclosing a draft of a book and a solicitors letter. However the basics of letter writing are easy to pick up with the use of 'Dear' and 'yours sincerely' used frequently.

The text is witty and charming and when i re read it recently I discovered a little adult humour thrown in for good measure too, when the jolly postman gets a little too jolly on a glass of champagne at cinderella and Prince Charming's palace!

This is a thoroughly enjoyable book, with loads of added extras for children of all levels to enjoy reading, or being read too. I personally think that this book benefits being read together with an adult as it provokes discussion and giggles to enjoy together.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters.

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison Hi Rhian, please post a link to this review on the reviews thread of the Primary PGCE group.

Rhian Loxley Thank you Alison I will do that now.