Leigh 's Reviews > The First Twelve Months of Life: Your Baby's Growth Month by Month

The First Twelve Months of Life by Theresa Caplan

Apr 28, 08

bookshelves: read-non-fiction
Recommended for: New parents and grandparents
Read in July, 2007

There are hundreds of books out there on child development that have lots of glossy color photos, pretty charts, and an abundance of white space making for a beautiful book with little information. Most are poorly organized and seemingly designed for those with a poor attention span.

This book is chock full of real information. The chapters are pure text with few visuals and only a quick information-rich chart at the end of each chapter. What impresses me most is the quality of the child development info. The authors are very specific about each stage and what a typical child is doing across all developmental strands.

Yes, the book is somewhat outdated. I have seen reviews that rage against the book's suggestions for tummy-sleeping, feeding, etc. I did not find this to be a problem. Recommendations come and go. Feeding and sleeping standards can be checked with the pediatrician. The stages of child development are consistent and have been for thousands of years. This is the purpose of the book, and I have yet to see a similar book with anywhere near as much information. Highly recommended. (I have just ordered The Second Twelve Months by the same authors.)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Twelve Months of Life.