Niina's Reviews > A Rose for Raymonde

A Rose for Raymonde by Wade H. Foy

Sep 04, 11

bookshelves: absolutely-beautiful
Read in September, 2011

"Here, then, I offer the account of a pair of life streams that merged: my own and that of Miss Raymonde van Laar, the beautiful and courageous lady I married, and who is my great true love." So begins A Rose for Raymonde, the true story of a young Swiss nurse who immigrated to the United States and found love with a U.S. Navy Reserve officer in 1950's New York.

You can’t help but like Wade immediately, he writes in a way that makes a pleasant voice inside one’s head and you feel like you are listening to a really good story right away.

I fell in love with their story the moment they met which had me giggling, poor cat and all, but it was sweet, and I couldn’t help but to smile. Few days after they meet under the roof of their friend’s house and one date later Wade reports on duty on one of Navy’s ships, and when not on duty he courts Raymonde, who arrived to US after II World War over the Atlantic from Switzerland. And the courting leads to a kiss, which leads to marriage proposal and a – yes. The USS Pursuit leaves for its winter cruise and the two write to each other every other day, promising to marry as soon as Wade returns.

Finally May comes and Pursuit returns to the dock and the couple if finally married! And they can start building a life together. After short honeymoon they return to New York and finally get to start living together and become a married couple.

Lovely letters change hands as Wade takes more cruises with the Navy, and they are joy to read, you can feel the love shine on the pages.

I normally read romances but it was so wonderful to read a real romance story, it warms the heart to read about real true love, not just the passion and the emotions but the Love, where you are tied to a person for the rest of your life with more than romantic love. I enjoyed reading this as that’s what I have with my husband, the connection, more than just passionate feelings. And this story gives hope for everyone that when you find your match, that’s it, no one else.

Also this book is wonderful peak into the 30’s through 60’s, to the way people interacted, the way the world was, the difference in how people spoke and wrote – for me having lived my life through 80’s and up it’s like a gilded image, but this book blows some life into the image.

And you’ll have some good chuckles and giggles as you read! Wade writes wonderfully, it almost cannot be explained you just have to read it to know what I mean, it’s best described as old gentleman like glamour.

What I enjoyed the most were the letters and pictures shared!

Heartfelt and wonderfully sweet true love story, it warms the heart and gives power to true love. Just as a good story is supposed to!

Music : “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye & “You Belong To Me” by Jo Stafford

More @ http://niinas-reading-and-reviewing.b...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rose for Raymonde.