Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > The Mote in God's Eye

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven

Oct 01, 11

bookshelves: read2011, sff-audio, sci-fi-fantasy
Read from September 29 to October 01, 2011

I read this to talk about it on the SFF Audio podcast, link forthcoming when it is posted.

Here's the thing. I'm a bad science fiction fan. I don't like aliens and spaceships. I don't like space wars. I don't like ships and military strategy. Except I've had little tastes of books that people have recommended, and ended up enjoying Ender's Game, The Sparrow, and Anathem despite the aliens and space.

I think what it really is - my knee-jerk reaction hasn't yet caught up to my head, where I think science fiction has wormed its way into me.

Okay, back to the book. This is a very well written first-contact story, about the 2nd Empire of humanity coming across what they refer to as the Moties. As they discover more about the multi-caste/species, they have to make decisions about how to interact and whether or not to allow them to expand their own empires.

I agree with some who have said it suffers from flat characters and a lack of creativity about the future, but I think the development of the alien race and the story itself makes up for it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mote in God's Eye.

09/29/2011 page 61
10.0% "Maybe if I get through it I can jump in on the SFF Audio discussion."
09/29/2011 page 252
43.0% "I keep thinking of Fuzzy Nation and Little Fuzzy. Where are the land prawns?"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tamahome Ooo.

Tamahome Who will finish first I wonder?

Jenny (Reading Envy) Want to race?

Tamahome You beat me.

message 5: by Ed (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ed I liked this one less than you did, Jenny. I found the story to be very dated, and the characters seemed like they were lifted straight from Star Trek with just their names changed.