Marcus's Reviews > The End of the Bronze Age: Changes in Warfare and the Catastrophe CA. 1200 B.C.

The End of the Bronze Age by Robert Drews

M_50x66
Sep 04, 11

I own a copy

"The End of the Bronze Age" proposes that large scale destruction of large urban centres around eastern Mediterranean Sea that apparently took place around XIII-XII century BC occured because of sudden change in warfare styles. More closely, Drews proposes that the event was caused directly by superiority of armies based on skirmish-based infantry equipped with javelins and swords over "national" armies of established kingsdoms where chariots were the dominating weapon platform. In an effort to reach this conclusion, Drews makes a whole lot of loosely founded assumptions that fit his argument, but which I suspect will be regarded with suspicion by military historians. For those reasons I would consider this book as most useful, if it is regarded as an illustration of how little is known about the transitional period between Bronze Age and Iron Age and how what we actually know can be used to support wide range of theories about civilizations of that time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of the Bronze Age.