Sophie's Reviews > Incarnate

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: 2012, reviewed, first-book-series, fantasy-paranormal
Read from January 31 to February 01, 2012

I read the first chapters on PitchDark and I couldn't resist. I preordered the kindle edition the day before it went out (I'd have died before the shipping got here were it the physical edition). To my surprise, I got the book in a few hours!

Everyone calls Ana a nosoul. People usually reincarnates once they die, establishing a curious way of immortality. There have always been the same one million people; they have had hundreds of lifetimes and they all know each other. But Ana is a newsoul, someone who hasn't been reincarnated. They were expecting her to be Ciana, who had lived for more than five thousand years. That's the reason why everyone treats her with hate and disdain, like her mere existence supposed a threat to their reincarnations.

The worst was her mother, Li, who never showed her a little of acceptance or love and made her believe that she shouldn't have existed, that nosouls were incapable of love or feelings and that she probably wouldn't even reincarnate like everyone else. She feels like a butterfly; fleeting one moment, gone the other. When she turns eighteen she decides she's had enough and leaves for the city, Heart, to look for information about herself. But the world is a far more inhospitable place than she'd thought and, after a couple of near-death experiences she finds herself on her way to Heart with a boy apparently her age, Sam, who supposedly doesn't hate her for who she is. Once in the city she will have to cope with restrictions, laws, people and their true longevity.

I absolutely loved the beginning. At first I felt a little lost about the reincarnations, but luckily Jodi Meadows does a fine work intertwining the story events with the information about how it all worked. I was immensely interested in their society, how every member played its part within their many lifetimes, how it all stood together. Ana was a great main character. She felt real, and I liked her fighter nature. Oh, and Sam is quite a character. The more I read about him, the more I liked him. He was quite a mystery himself. And the romantic scenes? My gosh, it was all I could do to stop myself from squealing! My bubbly teenage self kept thinking "wait, wait, did that just happen?!". One of the purest love stories I have read.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the ending. It felt kind of rushed, and some parts left me a bit puzzled. I'm usually picky when it comes to ending, but this time I think it didn't have anything to do with my pickiness. But of course I'm looking forward to the next book! Can't wait to discover more about Ana and her world. We end up knowing more about her condition as a newsoul, but it feels like there is so much that we still have to learn!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarnate.

Quotes Sophie Liked

Jodi Meadows
“Music overwhelmed me, soaked into my skin like water. I didn’t have words for the squiggles and dashes across the pages, or the way his fingers stretched across the keys to make my heart race. If I could hear only one thing for the rest of my life, this was what I wanted.”

Jodi Meadows
“There's always the option of deciding for yourself who you are and what you'll become.”
tags: self

“Did you have friend?"
"I've read about them, but I don't believe they exist."
"Your cynicism is amazing.”