Natalia's Reviews > Green Smoothie Revolution: The Radical Leap Towards Natural Health

Green Smoothie Revolution by Victoria Boutenko

Sep 04, 11

bookshelves: 2011, library
Read in August, 2011

I *love* my green smoothies. I drink one every morning. I have become convinced through my own experience that they are a great and tasty method for adding dark leafy greens to my diet. (And dark leafy greens are definitely nutritionally hardcore)

...But this book is full of really weird pseudo-science. There's this giant leap from the health benefits of adding greens to the diet, which I think is pretty much universally good advice, to eating a 100% raw diet which has a *lot* less evidence to support it. Also a lot of slamming of the "Standard American Diet" as if the only two options are a raw diet, or a processed-food-heavy fast-food-reliant diet. I am always suspicious of any argument that presents things in such binary terms.

For me, a raw food diet is completely uninteresting. I am in excellent health eating cooked food. I even eat meat! But I love green smoothies as a way to increase my vegetable intake, and incorporate 3-5 cups of dark greens a day. I really didn't find much in this book that was useful: The introductory parts were either common sense, or scientifically questionable - and the recipes were nothing I hadn't figured out experimenting with my own blender.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Smoothie Revolution.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) Most books like this annoy me because of their insistence on a drastic approach. (you too can lose weight by only eating chickpeas, but should you, that's another issue)

Actually I was just wondering if you wanted to share a greens smoothie recipe that you like. :)

Natalia Here's my normal morning recipe:

- one cup of almond milk or water
- 4 cups kale/chard/spinach/collards - I like to mix it up :)
- 1 banana
- 2 pieces of medium sized fruit (or the equivalent amount of smaller fruit) - I like to use containers of raspberries, peaches, plums, pluots, frozen mango, etc (the only thing that really doesn't work is pears, they give the smoothie a grainy texture)
- a teaspoon of flax seed oil - you need to add some kind of oil/fat to the mix to make sure you can absorb the fat-soluble vitamins in the greens
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon - because I like the taste, and because cinnamon increases insulin sensitivity, so I throw it in to moderate the effect of the sweet fruits
- 2 scoops of protein powder - this part isn't necessary, but since I use the smoothies for a meal replacement, I find adding the protein helps make it more satisfying. (I use Isopure Zerocarb, because I think it tastes a lot less objectionable than other brands, but that's personal taste)

I blend the snot out of all of this stuff, and it makes about 32oz. I have half for breakfast, then sip the rest over the course of the day.

What's your favorite recipe?

Jenny (Reading Envy) Do you have a special blender or do you think this would work in a regular one? And the greens are raw?

I think the meal replacement idea is good.

Natalia I have a regular blender, though I'm sure it would work better with a Vitamix or Blendtec.

I blend the raw greens with the almond milk first, until I've really blended them down to no real chunks remaining, then I throw in everything else and blend like crazy a 2nd time. :)