Susan Emmet's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

F 50x66
Sep 04, 2011

Read in September, 2011

Life is full of mysteries, intrigue, deceit and quests. Louise Penny's mystery, one of a series involving Armand Gamache, is a really good book - and I don't usually read mysteries. Too many real ones to figure out, I guess.
The book tracks two basic stories, one involving the search for the remains of Samuel de Camplain, revered by Quebecois for centuries, and the second the search for the person who murdered "The Hermit." Both story lines intersect in the end. It's all set against a cold and beautiful Quebec winter during Carnaval.
Suspect this book is well-researched although I know nothing about Penny as a researcher or writer beyond this book.
Characters are carefully drawn and I loved descriptions of buildings, sites and sights in Quebec City. Gamache, his mentor Emile, other Surete agents, as well as those "Anglos" who sit on the Board of the Literary and Historical Society, come alive.
Much to ponder regarding "revisionist" history and the search for truth, inside the soul - and out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.