Tess Mertens-Johnson's Reviews > The Lake of Dreams

The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards

Sep 04, 2011

it was ok
Read from September 04 to 12, 2011

OK - maybe it is me, but I have issues with smart women making poor decisions. Here is an educated woman who chucks it all to follow a man. As she waited for Yoshi to come, she told her Mother and everyone around her the minute he got there she couldn't do anything with them (not even clean out a closet). ARG! We raise our daughter's to be independent and be a part of a relationship with a mate, not have that relationship consume you. OK - off my soap box.
The remainder of the book was a composite of family situations that seemed dysfunctional at best. A woman who years after her husband's death has not been in her upper level of her house? Grief is a difficult and personal journey, but that needed intervention.
An adult brother who gets his girlfriend pregnant (in this day and age) but doesn't have the "stuff" to tell his Mommy? And big sister spills the beans. A bit unbelievable.
I enjoyed the Memory keeper’s Daughter and maybe was too hyped for this book, so I was disappointed.
Do not think I would recommend it to someone who enjoyed The Memory keeper’s Daughter, but would recommend it to Debbie Downers who think life and family always has a gray cloud over head.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lake of Dreams.

09/04/2011 page 95