Christopher Rush's Reviews > New Mutants Classic, Vol. 2

M_50x66
Oct 01, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read from September 04 to 17, 2011

Though at times these early New Mutants issues tend to dwell too much on the fact these new students are young teenagers, Claremont rarely delves too often or deeply into typical youthful shenanigans that would destroy anyone's desire to read about them in a comic book. He does a good job of balancing their youth with their desires to grow as mutants and as young adults, especially with the thoroughly tragic character Illyana Rasputin/Magik. Her story is one of the darkest in the X-Universe (at least while also being well-written and conceived and not just "dark for dark's sake"). The cover makes it seem like the conflict between Kitty Pryde and the New Mutants is long and intensive, but it barely lasts one issue. She continues her time in both series, but the major conflict quickly becomes the Hellions - which is much better. Claremont saves us the agony of extended childish conflict, but he does give proper due to their individual problems, especially the newest member of the team, Magma. Roberto's seemingly ongoing family problems at times drag on, but they do finally go somewhere and make progress (especially with the intriguing Inner Circle subplots). The only over-extended characterization flaws come with Rahne Sinclair, and her ubiquitous self-image problems. They do provide an interesting conversation with Cannonball toward the end of this collection, but on the whole we are getting tired of her frequent "maybe I am evil" talk. Being so used to Cannonball from X-Force, it is strange to see him in his early appearances - though he is only a teenager, he looks younger in the '90s after he grows up! This trade paperback, as mentioned before, starts to get the team headed in the direction we most remember it for, bringing in the conflicts with Emma Frost and her Hellions, as well as introducing (though too surreptitiously) Douglas Ramsey, and the team is finally starting to get better control over their powers (though still not quite working as a team). Though we are still wondering what happened to Karma, the series is getting better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Mutants Classic, Vol. 2.