Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)'s Reviews > Gunmetal Magic

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

JULY UPDATE: REVIEW, also on Under the Covers

So...we have to go a year without a Kate Daniel's book. I admit, I cried, I fell to my knees and howled to the moon "whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyy" in most most despairing tone...but once they let me out the padded room (major over reaction by the way, just because you howl at the moon, it DOES NOT make you crazy!) and ate some chocolate my rational brain smoothered my crazy brain and I started to think. I like Andrea, she is a kick arse female, I wanted to know what would happen with her and Rapheal and Kate and Curran would surely peek in at some point; all is not lost. So I pulled on my big girl panties, went back to work and put the pint of emergency Ben & Jerrys ice cream back in the freezer for another day. And now after reading Gunmetal Magic I am currently eating my celebration tub of Ben & Jerry's (yes, I have a pint for all occassions) quite simply...it kicked "goods" bottom and immediatly upgraded to awesome. As if Andrea would have it any other way.

In all honesty this wasn't actually that much different from a Kate Daniel's book, it had the action packed plot full of freaky imaginative creatures and self obsessed demi-gods set in the backdrop of a wild Atlanta where quite literally anything can happen. It also had that dash of romance as we get to see Andrea and Rapheal play out the mating dance...again only bigger and better this time. This quote really caught my eye and explains thier relationship perfectly:

"If you put up with me, I will put up with whatever you can throw my way," he said. "Bad days, good days, 'I'll cut you if you look at me the wrong way' days. I'll take them all."

But most importantly it had a great female lead character. Andrea. She might not quite have Kate's great mix insanity and sarcasm but Andrea as her own kind of crazy which was just as enthralling to read as she begins to accept parts of herself that she has been trying all her life to ignore. These parts of her though have breasts, furry breasts that the men in this book couldn't seemed to ignore, best recurring joke ever! And Gunmetal Magic does funny really well, although some serious things are happening and Andrea is an intense person. I love that humour is still included, especially when it is between two of my favourite gals:

"If you paste some stars on her butt, you'll be riding My Little Pony." [Kate]
"Bugger off." I patted the mare's neck. "Don't listen to her, Sugar. You are the cutest horsey ever. The correct name for her color is strawberry roan, by the way."
"Strawberry shortcake, more like it. Does Strawberry Shortcake know you stole her horse? She will be berry, berry angry with you."

I must also mention Ascanio, our teeange delinquent Bouda...if I were 10 years younger there would be posters of him all over my wall...okay I have a slight crush on him, it feels wrong, but I can't help it. I can't wait to have a book about him *hint hint* He is charming, lethal, gorgrous, funny and very very wicked:

"Did those nice church ladies come by again?"
He nodded. "I asked them if a man died and then the woman remarried, and the three of them met in heaven, would it be a sin for them to have a threesome, since they were all married in God's eyes. And then they decided they were late to be somewhere else."

This was the right blend of action, humour and romance that has created a fantastic read that I all but devoured and reminded me (not that I would ever forget) why Ilona and Gordon Andrews are my favourite authors. I promise I will never doubt you again!

*opens up a second pint of Celebration Ben & Jerry's*

*ARC provided by publisher

May Update: I was lucky enough to get a ARC of this....and although Dave didn't pop up *sad face* I was right 5 Stars despite the lack of nekkid Curran appearances *sigh* ah well you can't have it all! Another fab-tastic book and I will post a full (gushey-fangirl) review nearer to the release date.

At first I was annoyed that this wouldn't be a Kate book, but now I like the idea of Andrea getting her own book. Frankly, I love this series so much that by July they could do a book about an orange spotted monkey called Dave and so long as Kate and Curran arrived in it at some point I would still give it 5 stars.

Awww who wouldn't want to read a book about this little chap?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunmetal Magic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ilona (new)

Ilona Andrews OMG, that is a most adorable orange monkey!

message 2: by Ilona (new)

Ilona Andrews Shiloh wrote: "So when are you writing the book about Dave?"

I can't write about Dave - I will pass out from the cutieness.

Romance Addict Ilona wrote: "OMG, that is a most adorable orange monkey!"

Yes, I agree with Shiloh, can't wait for Dave's book. :-)

message 4: by Anya (new) - added it

Anya Carrie wrote: "Ilona wrote: "OMG, that is a most adorable orange monkey!"

Yes, I agree with Shiloh, can't wait for Dave's book. :-)"

Shiloh wrote: "So when are you writing the book about Dave?"

And here it comes.. tweeters will campaign to get Dave's book written!
and in other news . . .

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I would also love to see Dave's book ;)

Andy L The Ilona's are just mad because you revealed the true face of Roland. :)

Nicole bwa ha ha ha Shi, what did you do? LOL. But um, yes. I think I'd agree. I'd read pretty much anything set in this world, esp if Kate, Curran, Jim et al make an appearance *G*

message 8: by Rogier (new)

Rogier cute

Mags~CVAddikt~Chaos defies imagination! Dave the Monkey rocks!!!

Ohhh but Raphael is kind of cute too, I loved him in Magic Mourns ... specially the scene when Andrea paints his face with a sharpie LOL

Mhhhhhhhh I'll miss Kate and Curran ... hope they appear in a couple of scenes at least.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Glad you liked the pre-review! I think Dave the Monkey would make a great book, how can you resist those eyes? :D

Stephaney I think the pack could use some monkey shifters, especially if they have a cute little brood like Dave. Plus think of how Jim could use their climbing prowess in his spy games.

Marsha Amen, sistah!

message 13: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I will read the book just to get a pet at the monkey! Oh NO, he's not included!? *slinks off in a snit*

Marsha Ha!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I think Dave the Monkey could definately add an extra dimension :P lol

Regina I wish July was here already.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I was lucky and got an ARC, and OMG it is awesome!

Alicia No naked Curran? That's an outrage! x-(

(I'll read it anyway.)

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I know, what was she thinking LMAO?! I will have to reread the hot tub scene again for kicks lol

Hahah good call :D

Regina Oh my goodness Suzanne I may have to hate you and envy you -- an ARC!!!!! Lukcy Duck. :)

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Haha I was lucky, although it just means I have to wait longer for the next one :(

Regina Okay, that will make me feel better then. :)

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) It should I am dyyyying here, I may have to reread everything, including novellas so I can get me some more lol

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) omg 61 likes, Suz???? hahaahahah Thats so awesome!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I would start bragging about my obviously brilliant writing skills, but lets face it...it's the adorable monkey LOL!

Regina Aw, your reviews are brilliant. :D But darn, that monkey ....

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Hahaha thanks Regina :D

Yeah Dave is pretty cute, it is that little tuft of hair that pushes him into too damn adorable LOL!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I must say, I like your reviews. But I might be a tad biased.

Theresa i tried to win an arc, but wasn't a lucky winner. :( is it a full book, or novella?

message 34: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Man your review had me laughing. I never thought to have Ben and Jerrys on Stand-by for such occasions, but I see now that it has its uses. Have not read the book yet. I want to soooooo bad. Does this series branch out from another series that Ilona Andrews wrote. What should I read first?

message 35: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Oh I see there is Kate Daniels and Kate Daniels World.... I should read Kate Daniels first I am sure. Ughh... Too many great books to read and NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!

Tokies damn.. the girl got bad ass.. no more smiles and a hell of a lot more ass beatings ..... me likes

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Donna wrote: "Man your review had me laughing. I never thought to have Ben and Jerrys on Stand-by for such occasions, but I see now that it has its uses. Have not read the book yet. I want to soooooo bad. Does t..."
Thanks :) You should definitely read the Kate Daniel's series first, in fact you should just read ut anyways, it is a fab series!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Tokies wrote: "damn.. the girl got bad ass.. no more smiles and a hell of a lot more ass beatings ..... me likes"

She was definitely bad ass Tokies!