Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea's Reviews > Other Septembers, Many Americas: Selected Provocations, 1980#2004

Other Septembers, Many Americas by Ariel Dorfman

An anthology of Dorfman's work revolving around another September 11th--September 11th, 1973--the day that the socialist president of Chile, Salvador Allende, was murdered by the military in a coup d'etat ushering in the bloody, torturous and tyrannical reign of General Augusto Pinochet. Instead of being murdered, Dorfman fled his native Chile to end up in the U.S.; it's ironic as the government of his new home happened to be the ones backing the Pinochet coup and slaughter of innocent Chileans.

Anyway, I recall reading some very moving pieces in this volume and would recommend it to others. After reading this book--and seeing the kind of shit going on in other places in Latin America--I've grown much more attuned to our neighbors to the south. Dorfman's writing is poetic and moving and always cutting against a regime and his exile from his homeland.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Other Septembers, Many Americas.