Mark's Reviews > Fuzzy Nation

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi

Sep 04, 11

Read in August, 2011

I've been handing out five-star reviews with much less frequency lately, but this one deserves it. About half-way through, this sci-fi legal thriller entered CSR (Can't Stop Reading) mode and I think I devoured the second half of the book yesterday.

In Fuzzy Nation, John Scalzi tells the story of Jack Holloway, a disbarred lawyer who's now a geological surveyor on a company-"owned" planet. He discovers history's largest seam of history's most valuable jewel and stands to come fabulously wealthy. Unfortunately, his rough personality puts him at odds with almost every other character in the book, so the trouble starts immediately. The slimy corporate executive tries to buy him out for pennies on the dollar; his ex-girlfriend barely tolerates his presence; the company rep tries to cancel his contract; and early on, somebody tries to kill him. Only his faithful dog, Carl, stands loyally by.

But when Holloway encounters some local creatures who are cute and may be sentient, the real drama starts. What does Holloway do? A sentient species means the planet cannot be mined. But he (and his dog) think the creatures deserve a chance at their own evolution.

Scalzi manages to blend humor, drama, rich detail, and emotional punch into a novel that's can't-put-down good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fuzzy Nation.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Apatt (new)

Apatt I review mostly 4-5 star books because I can't be bothered to review the ones I don't like :)