Mark's Reviews > A Stolen Life

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: autobiography-memoir, non-fiction, own-it
Read from September 04 to 07, 2011

A remarkable tale of survival by a remarkable young woman, whose name we all recognize, and the eighteen years she spent as the captive of Phillip Garrido and his wife, Nancy. We all remember reading about the eleven year-old girl who was kidnapped off the street on her way to school, and we all rejoiced when a parole officer asked the right questions and finally ended Jaycee's long nightmare. This memoir fills in the gaps and allows us to understand what she went through and why she never attempted to escape or to ask for help even when there were opportunities to do so. Leaving out the prurient details, she nevertheless conveys the abysmal conditions of her captivity and the constant manipulation she underwent at her captor's hands. What this reader heard was the voice of a young woman of uncommon courage and with a fierce love for her children and for animals who demonstrates little bitterness toward her captors. The last third of the book gives us a glimpse of the healing process she has undergone since her release, and one can only feel great sympathy for her ordeal and immense wonder at the woman who has emerged from this. She tells her story in discreet chunks, telling us plainly what occurred and then summarizes each episode with some thoughts as she looks back at those events. Easy to read, but tough to digest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Stolen Life.