Jamila's Reviews > The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Apr 18, 2008

bookshelves: my-top-favorite-books-of-all-time

Susie Salmon resides in between Earth & Heaven after her brutal death. She tells the story of her death by a serial killer who is an eccentric neighbor that no one suspects and her voice does not contain the bitterness one might expect. She looks into the lives of those who touched her in life and death and observes her family’s ongoing grief in the months to years after her death. As a spirit she is able to feel her family member’s hidden thoughts and pain while also seeing her father mentally break down, her mother emotionally close up and grows to respect her sister’s strength.

Her story is not one about death, but about loss and affirming life, it’s about the simple joys that we sometimes take for granted and overcoming loss, even at the darkest hours of our life.
This book possesses a quiet, comforting tone in a poetic style, which sometimes gets lost in its own detail, but is stunning nonetheless. The Lovely Bones is one of those books you can pick up and not want to put down again until you finish.

In this book we learn that people can overcome almost anything although it doesn’t happen easily.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lovely Bones.