Hope Barrett's Reviews > The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend

Sep 03, 11

bookshelves: humour

Sue Townsend's best-selling book is a wonderful gift for a 13-year-old boy, but you will still enjoy it if you are in your early 20s, because it speaks to the teenager you were... the one that worried about pimples, and obsessed over individuals who were not at all interested... or were they? I read Adrian Mole's diaries long before J.K. Rowling came out with her Harry Potter series. I haven't read any of Rowling's books but I have supported her nevertheless by going to all the movie adaptations of her books. I'm coming to my meandering point: the first time I saw Harry Potter on celluloid, I thought, "That's Adrian Mole!"

Adrian Mole is not a world-class wizard; rather, he is a precocious teen who finds his best confidant and comfort to be his diary. Keen to move in circles superior to the one he was born in (surely some royal personage left him by mistake), Adrian's vision of the perfect future includes requited affections from the desirable Pandora (hello, Hermione.)

Light reading that amuses, although Townsend does lose some of her momentum near the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4.