Chloe H.'s Reviews > Matched

Jan 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: teen-fiction, distopia
Read from December 27, 2011 to January 02, 2012

This was a fun read, and the second half of the book was quite a page turner. I liked the way that the author depicted a tightly-controlled world, where even minor actions by the characters can take on major significance. I also liked how the main character, Cassia's, narration started out very terse and become more lyrical as she discovers poetry. Of course, the writing does occasionally come off like the diary of a lousy teenage poet, and there are certainly some eye-roll worthy moments.
I suppose that my biggest gripe with this book, and the reason that I couldn't totally get into it, was that Cassia's future society didn't seem credible. It seemed to function more as a contrivance that forwarded the romantic plot than as a setting that could have convincingly evolved from current geo-political conditions. I wanted to know more about The Society, so that I could get my mind around how they were able to expend such an extraordinary amount of resources toward peering into the romantic lives of teenagers.
Naturally, this is the first in a series, and almost nothing is resolved at the end of the book, so even though I'm not totally sold on it, I'm sure that I'll be checking out the sequel before long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.