Maria's Reviews > Tuesday

Tuesday by David Wiesner

Sep 03, 11

Read in September, 2011

Tuesday" is a text less, intriguing, and inventive picture book. "Tuesday" is almost a mythical tell, but with a sense of humor. Frogs are strange creatures. Frogs are a good choice to tell a children's story. They invaded that neighborhood flying on top of their Lilly pads and only a man, and other animals could see them. This images reminded me of the Exodus, when God sent a plague of frogs to the Egyptians.

The artistic style is enticing with two pages illustrations and insertions of drawings that look like close ups of some scenes. The colors are intense. It was difficult to compare the art style with the style of a famous painter. The cover has a big clock and that reminded me of Salvador Dali's giant clocks. The illustration of a man eating a peanut butter sandwich in his kitchen looks like a Norman Rockwell's creation. There are some surrealist tones throughout the book.
The end is intriguing because the next Tuesday another set of flying animals is coming out at night and the story repeats itself.

My personal connection to this picture book is that surrealist painters are my favorites. For example Salvador Dali and Rene Magrit have painting where flying is a recurrent event just like in this story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesday.