Cyndy Aleo's Reviews > The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott

The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from February 13 to 14, 2012

Like many young girls who read Little Women, I have had a lifelong obsession with Louisa May Alcott, and her main character, Jo, the writer and voracious reader who never could keep her foot out of her mouth. Of all the characters in literature I've read, I've identified with Jo the most, and picked up Kelly O'Connor McNees' The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott without thinking twice.

::: The Plot :::

The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott is based on the idea that, as Little Women was based so closely on the lives of Alcott and her three sisters, there must have been a real Laurie as well, and Alcott must have been in love at some point, but never married for some reason. Using a summer undocumented in Alcott's journals and personal correspondence as a backdrop, she invents characters, including a love interest for Alcott: the son of a shopkeeper in town.

The shopkeeper's son, Joseph Singer, both infuriates and intrigues Alcott, but as the reader already knows the ending -- Alcott never married in real life -- it isn't hard to guess that the relationship is doomed from the start.

The story is bookended by a visit from a 48-year-old Alcott back to Walpole before her death.

::: Intriguing, Yet Creepy :::

In fan fiction circles, this type of fictional storytelling about a real person is called -- you guessed it -- real person fiction, and is often viewed as something untoward; writing about real people, especially living people is "icky."

The story itself is riveting if you can take yourself out of the idea that it might really be Alcott and that the situations may be real; in a few instances, there are words that seem out of time, and one particular scene seems so out of step with both Alcott's known character as well as the moral conventions of the time that I gasped aloud at how far O'Connor McNees took the story.

I was torn between three and four stars for the book anyway -- I couldn't put it down -- but the final scene is what finally tipped the scale; as Alcott burns evidence of that "lost summer" she says she couldn't bear if later, biographers, etc. found it and made it into something tawdry. I couldn't help but feel I'd read exactly what the character O'Connor McNees created wouldn't have wanted written in the first place, and it's not the way you want to remember a book.

A version of this review appears on Epinions: http://www.epinions.com/review/Book_T...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott.

Quotes Cyndy Liked

Kelly O'Connor McNees
“...it seemed marriage by its very design was meant to seek out love and destroy it.”
Kelly O'Connor McNees, The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott

02/14/2012 page 49
14.0% ""The quiver in her substantial bosom threatened to settle once and for all the ongoing battle between her flesh and the seams of her dress." Just lulzed at dr. Office."
02/14/2012 page 60
17.0% ""Authorship is not a lucrative career." no joke."
02/14/2012 page 124
36.0% ""'I try to imprint this sunshine in my mind and save it for January. It never does seem to work, though.'""
02/14/2012 page 157
46.0% ""...it seemed marriage by its very design was meant to seek out love and destroy it." Adding this one to my profile. Stat."
02/14/2012 page 194
57.0% ""For a man, love is just a season. For a woman it is the whole of the year -- winter, spring, summer, and fall -- and yet, sometimes it is not what it could be. What it seems it should be." This book is more anti-marriage than the divorce memoir I just finished."