Gaby's Reviews > Midnight on Julia Street

Midnight on Julia Street by Ciji Ware

Sep 03, 11

bookshelves: chicklit, love-story, mystery, summer-reading
Read in August, 2011 — I own a copy

Largely set in present day New Orleans, Midnight on Julia Street follows the gutsy, independent and stubborn tv news producer Corlis McCullough as she starts yet another new TV production job. Corlis has great instincts but she's a bit like a terrier - she doesn't give up on a story and isn't one to cave to politics or her networks' affiliations. This has held her back in her career and repeatedly gets her into hot water.

To add to the mix, she bumps heads with King Duvallon, an enemy of sorts from college. King and has frat brothers had poked fun at Corlis when she wrote for the college paper. Corlis had retaliated strongly and gotten King expelled. Decades later, the two find themselves somehow on the same side. Their truce, new friendship and possible romance heats up Midnight on Julia Street. The novel gets even more interesting with Corlis's new ability to see into the past. She somehow finds herself transported to New Orleans in the 1800s and her visits help her to piece together parts of a long forgotten mystery.

The novel isn't really paranormal, the trips to the past add to the storyline and act as a device to teach us about the main characters' relations and to reveal clues a mystery from the past. Midnight on Julia Street is a fun read. My one criticism is that I found Corlis's voice - especially in her internal monologues - a little annoying. That's just my personal opinion and I realize other people might connect better with the lead character. Overall, Midnight on Julia Street is a fun escape.

ISBN-10: 1402222726 - Paperback $15.99
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark; Reprint edition (August 1, 2011), 512 pages.
Review copy provided by the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight on Julia Street.