Traci (The Reading Geek)'s Reviews > The Unwanteds

The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann

Sep 03, 2011

Read in September, 2011

Lisa McMann's The Unwanteds is the story of twins Alex and Aaron who live in a land called Quill. Every year thirteen-year-olds are sorted into either the Wanted group where they are sent to the university or they are sorted into the Unwanted category where they are sent to their death. Aaron is determined to be Wanted but Alex is Unwanted because of his artistic ability. Alex discovers though that the Unwanteds are not actually killed but are secretly sent to a new land called Artime. Artime is a place created by magic where the Unwanteds learn to master their creative abilities and learn magic that will help them fight Quill.

I loved The Unwanteds and I didn't want to put this book down. I have read and loved all of McMann's previous books so I have been highly anticipating The Unwanteds and I enjoyed it even more than I was expecting. The characters are each excellently developed and I grew quite an attachment to them. Twins Alex and Aaron are fairly different from one another but still have a strong bond. According to the rules of Quill, Aaron must forget about his brother and attend the university. However, Aaron hopes to take over and rule Quill one day. Alex learns to grow a great deal through the story as he goes on this difficult and unexpected journey. I admit Alex annoyed me a bit when he first arrived in Artime and was behind on lessons but he quickly grew on me after that. I love the characters in Artime as well such as Alex's friends, Lani, Meghan, and especially Artime's leader Mr. Today.

I love the setting and I was instantly drawn into the frightening world of Quill and the magical world of Artime. I was completely fascinated by the land Artime which is filled with magic, talking creatures, talking blackboards, tubes that can bring you anywhere, and lastly where creativity is powerful. The thrilling plot is unpredictable and I never entirely knew what to expect to happen next. I like that the story alternates between multiple characters which helped me get a deeper understanding into each character as well as their motives. I highly recommend The Unwanteds, it is a creative and exciting story.

thereadinggeek.blogspot.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unwanteds.

04/22 marked as: read