Carrousel's Reviews > Distant Waves

Distant Waves by Suzanne Weyn

Oct 12, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: bad-heroine, bad-hero, bad-plot, bad-writing, worst-middle-grade-books, when-will-it-end, wasted-time, wasted-money
Read in September, 2011

This book was probably one of the worst I've read. Probably because my expectations were fairly high, but none the less, it was a disappointment.
I was hoping for a good book focusing the the voyage of the Titantic. When I opened the book and skimmed the first view pages, I was a bit intrigued by the spiritualist-aspect part of it. So I made the mistake of buying it.
I am about 115 pages in, but I am close to dropping it into the trash.

The first thing I found odd was the part where Jane and her family met Tesla.
I understood the book incorporates some paranormal aspects in it, but the part where the earthquake machine came around was just.. odd. It appeared out of the blue. And instead of the guy just destroying it and stopping the earthquake so less damage would be done, he thinks, "Boy, I'd best help thems persons out dur, so that I canna take thems inside der buildin, where weh could all persobly die, and cuz mur duhstruction while der muhchine runs. Dur. Ohs well.."
Another was how Jane always commented on how she "stood in the shadow" of Mimi's good looks, and how that that was perfectly fine with her, and how she just felt a "sisterly pride."
You feel proud of your sister that she got all the hot genes in the family?

Anyways, another thing that weirded me out was the sudden appearance and disappearance of her long-lost aunt and uncle, and the way her mother tried to hide the truth from her.
One minute, out of all the places in North America, they find her in Spirit Vale. Then, in an hour, the aunt waves good-bye and skips out of the book.

My last complaint was how creepy-stalker-ish Jane was of Tesla, and how she remembered him after 10 ten years.

Seriously, I can't remember the name of a guy I met a year ago. And I'd known him for a few monthes. Not one hour.
I'd remember the machine-caused earthquake, but not the name of the guy, much less what he looked like.
At 6 years old, none-the-less.
But I was a bit weirded out by how Jane collected everything that mentioned Tesla, and kept it in a scrapbook filled with pictures of him.
And how she connected Tesla to Sherlock Holmes, and swooned over him, a guy about 30 years older than she.
Finally (the icing of the cake), he goes all the way to New York just to interview him, instead of choosing a closer-by topic, where she creeps out and stalks his intern (her love interest, of course)..
I'd give it 0 stars if I could, but alas, I cannot.
Sorry if any of these events turns around in the book, but I couldn't stand another page of it for much longer. It feels more like a children's book than a YA one, which was how I found it classified.
Perhaps I'll try to finish the rest of the 250 pages in one sitting (no huge feat).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Distant Waves.

Jennifer Fountain "The beginning is very jumbled, like the author wanted to create a back-story for the actual story."
I felt the same. I was annoyed I was practically 3/4 through before they really even got around to the Titanic. Then they time traveled through it? Wth?

Carrousel Jennifer: Exactly how I felt. I was hoping for a moving story about the Titantic, and Miss Weyn had to go and totally stumble through each page; it seemed to me as if she didn't really lay out her ideas properly, and just dove right in.

Maeve: I feel that there's a difference between following a celebrity via Twitter and gossip magazines, and from swooning over someone about three times your age, hoarding pictures of him, borrowing a carriage under false pretenses just to see him, then stalking his intern just to be able to get an interview with him. I agree that there is no problem with having role models, sometimes idolization can reach a creepy point, which I feel that Jane reached. However, this is merely my own opinion, and I have learned that while one person may feel one way about a part of a book, another may have a completely different look on it.

Ariana I would like to say that anyone who hates or strongly dislikes this book can shove it and someplace dark. This was an AMAZING book!
All those people who disagree with me are dumb. And people shouldn't say mean or impolite things about someone's writing!
I give this book a fantastic 5 stars!

Daisy Roberts Ya I agree. I really enjoyed this book

Deanna There are teenage girls that "swoon" over actors such as Robert Downey Jr, Johnny Deep and Leonardo DiCaprio. All are at least in their 40s. Not as uncommon as you'd think. Also her mother mentions his name as she's growing up. Some people are more gifted with memory then others.

message 6: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Even though Jane as only 6 years old when the earthquake happened, it was a really traumatic event. I'm not surprised that she remembered it. You said that it was stalkerish that she kept pictures of Tesla and newspaper clippings about him but you have to remember what time period this was in. They didn't have technology or the internet. If it was nowadays she would look him up or follow him on Twitter or something. And that's normal. So collecting articles is really the same thing. I'm sure you would have done a thing that. And besides, Jane's father died when she was very young. She probably didn't remember him that well. So when they met Tesla, he became more of a father figure. Jane never met anyone like him. She didn't 'swoon' over him over him or fall in love. He was just simply fascinating.

Alicia Personally, I agree completely with your review! And why is no one questioning the part where one sister died and ended up living inside her other sister? Am I the only one that thought that was weird? That's about all I remember from the book off hand.

Emkash This is a science fiction book, so of course if you were picking it up and expecting it to be a novel all about the Titanic, your hopes will be shot, but if you really want to read about the titanic that much, then go pick up an encyclopedia. This book is the story of Jane, not the Titanic (that just happened to be a delightful part of it). She is just incorporating many aspects of the time period and it's awesome, not creepy, how a young girl looks up to a scientist, instead of celebrities or models.

Alexandra Gutarova Ok, so I know that I'm like a year late, but did anybody else find the age inaccuracy weird? So Jane is six years old in 1898, which means that she was born in 1892. And the Titanic sunk in 1912. So, shouldn't she be 20 instead of 17?