Mandy's Reviews > The Snow Merchant

The Snow Merchant by Sam Gayton

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, fantasy, i-own
Read from September 03 to 09, 2011

If you haven't already discovered the brilliant children's publishing group Andersen Press, then now is the time to do it. I have read 8 of their books this year and they are all absolutely brilliant. These are books that will stimulate young minds, making them challenge the world around them and inspire them to embark on incredible adventures.

Quite simply, I was astounded by the depths of author Sam Gayton's imagination and inventiveness. If you know anyone in the 9-11 age group, buy them this book!

From my review: "One windy and treacherous winter's night, a man with blue teeth and an icicle beard arrives at the inn. Claiming to be the Snow Merchant, he turns pebbles into shillings and tells Lettie that she is his customer. Lettie has no idea what snow is but she is quite certain that she can't afford it.

And so begins a wonderful tale of alchemy, intrigue and the creation of snow. Featuring a boy with a stalk growing from his shoulder, a woman composed of air and a pigeon fashioned from clay, The Snow Merchant is astounding in its imagination and creativity. At times it reminded me of the works of Enid Blyton or Philip Pullman but I am certain that I have never read anything quite this inventive before.
"

Read the full review on Addicted to Media: Book Review: The Snow Merchant by Sam Gayton

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snow Merchant.