Sam Grace's Reviews > A People's History of the United States

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

Jul 22, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction, hiatus
Recommended for: history fans, feminists, socialists, cool people
Read in July, 2008

This book is really neat. I think big chunks of it (the chunks that I've read) should be made required reading in high school history classes across the States. The parts I haven't read? Probably just as good. The thing is I just can't read that much history all at once. I just can't. My brain shuts down. Why aren't there any good books of ESSAYS on history? Why must they always be tomes?

If you don't mind tomes, however, you should DEFINITELY read this awesome book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A People's History of the United States.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lois (new)

Lois You might want to take a look at our copy of David McColloughs' John Adams, a great love story of two outstanding Americans during an absolute critical period in our nation's history -- oh so human and yet oh so wise and political. History told as fascinating story.We were so fortunate to have Abigail and John Adams. Or, perhaps more entertaining but not as complete as the book -- the award-winning miniseries now out on DVD.

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Grace Is it tome-y? Be honest.

message 3: by Lois (new)

Lois I certainly did not find this book tome-y. It has gender roles in it -- this powerful brilliant woman who has to go through her husband to have any impact on the world. Even as a mother, she pioneered the use of smallpox vaccine and the dr was worred that she hadn't discussed it with her husband. He's not hear and I'm fully aware of the risks (which included death to her or one of her children if they contracted small pox. One of the children did -- and came very close to dying --

This is story, not tome.
I've read-- or tried to read tomes-- can't do it.