Krista's Reviews > The Tenderness of Wolves

The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney

May 21, 2008

Read in May, 2008

Well it's 1:20 AM and I just finished this well written page turner. Would probably give it 4 1/2 for capturing my interest. When my book club chose this I didn't think I would like it because I usually don't read murder mysteries. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the weaving storylines and plots and the way the characters were connected in what I was imagining to be a vast wintery wilderness. I also enjoyed the contrast of the first and third person narratives. I'm not sure I get the title.

Although it took me a while to warm up to Mrs. Ross (in the beginning she seemed kind of simple and mousey) but as the story went on I really admired her. I was pulling for her all the way. And...cuddling with Parker in the cabin for warmth...much better than...you know. I could feel it!

I got a little confused with some of the characters and keeping them straight and I still don't get the Seton girls - can't wait to talk about this at book club. Were they both alive or only one of them??? I don't get it!?

I was mildly disappointed in the ending. I wanted a little more. I didn't feel that everything got wrapped up well enough, but that could be because I'm always one for the fairytale endings, girl gets the guy, conflicts are resolved, etc. AND what the hell is her first name??

9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tenderness of Wolves.

JoTownhead Hello! I think it's Ros (possibly short for Rosalind or Rosamund?). Note her husband's pet name for her is Rhu (p56) which fits

Janet if you ever figure out her firstname let me know!

message 3: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn Her first name is Lucy, like the female sled dog. When Parker tells her the names of the dogs she realizes she and the female have the same name. Then at the end when Parker says he doesn't know her first name she says he's been saying it all along.

Janet I did learn that; another reader noted the same thing as you. Thanks.

message 5: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn Oh, good. I just finished this book for my book club and really enjoyed reading it. In fact I read it twice. There were so many characters and subplots going on I needed the second reading. Personally, I think the author left it wide open for a sequel.