Daphne's Reviews > Animal Attraction

Animal Attraction by Jill Shalvis

Dec 18, 12

bookshelves: adult, review, romance, series
Read from September 03 to 06, 2011

Gone Pecan

Favorite Quote: “I owe you. Lunch tomorrow?”

“We can never agree on a place.”

“Name it, then,” he said. “Name your price.”

This appeared to interest her given how she cocked her head. “That’s a lot of power.”

She had no idea how much power she already had.

“Anything.”

Book two in the Animal Magnetism series, Animal Attraction follows Dell, the vet from Animal Magnetism, and his secretary/gal Friday, Jade, as they fall in love. I was really looking forward to this story. Dell seemed like a really fun, nice guy and Jade was a very interesting and intriguing, some might say mysterious, woman. This is gonna be FUN!

And indeed it was! After being in Sunshine, Idaho, working for Dell at the clinic for a year and a half, Jade has decided (under pressure from her family) it’s time to go home, back to Chicago to work in her family’s doctor practice. But suddenly, her secret attraction to Dell starts to nag at her. Dell has the entire female population of Sunshine (and surrounding countryside) under his thrall (including the animals), but Jade refuses to succumb, too. Yes, she’s been thinking about him that way for quite a while now, but she just cannot be involved. Dell doesn’t DO involved, anyway. He’s scarred from being a throw-away kid in foster care; the only people he loves and trusts unconditionally are Brady and Adam. He cannot give himself to a woman in that way. Love like that scares him (as it does a lot of people).

Quote: It would be nice to know there was a woman waiting on him at the end of the day. He wouldn’t mind that. It was the emotional depth and level of attachment that bothered him. The love part. Love would take trust and blind faith. It would take allowing access to parts of him that he didn’t allow himself access to. “I’m not really cut out for it.”

Jade, thinking of leaving, slowly starts to let her guard down. In the time she’s been in Sunshine, NO ONE has been to her apartment. She doesn’t LET ANYONE IN, literally and figuratively (except, to a small degree, Lilah). But then she takes in one small homeless, wary kitten, and that seems to be what opens the door.

Jade’s hiding some recent trauma, but it becomes obvious that something has happened to her. Things start to get a little spicy when, due to some vet clinic break-ins in the area, Dell starts to teach Jade self-defense (in his home, where he never brings any other women). Both Jade and Dell find they like touching each other…which, of course, leads to kissing.

This book really lived up to it’s promise. Jade and Dell were so hot for each other; their chemistry was palpable. I enjoyed the watching the two of them let down their guard and break away from whatever it was holding them back. It was very sweet. I really loved the end, when they’ve both made up their mind…I cannot say too much without giving it away, but I loved this book and the characters.

4.5/5
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal Attraction.